Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am close to ordering my first re-curve bow but want to get opinions on a couple of things.

I am looking at the Hoyt Horizon 25" riser mated with a pair of TradTech Black Max Carbon/Wood limbs (#30).

My basic stats are: 6'1"; 28.5" draw length; 61 years young.

Three questions:
1. Is that combination acceptable for a beginning archer for recreational/target shooting...20-40 yards.
2. Can the draw weight be adjusted up/down by a couple of pounds if needed?
3. The people at Lancaster Archery gave me the following AMO info:
Short Limb = 66" ; Med Limb = 68" ; Long Limb = 70". I am thinking the longer length would be easier to shoot? Any thoughts on the upside/downside to the three different lengths would be appreciated.

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
Given your height it's very likely that you will gain a bit more draw length before your form stabilizes. I'd go with the long limbs.

-Grant

·
Registered
273 Posts
I also agree with the above comment that you should go with longs. I just got my first pair of long blackmax limbs and man are they smooth.

·
Registered
24 Posts
You might want to re-measure your draw length. It must be 30". I'm not in my teens either and have bows slightly down in weight so I can enjoy a two hour practice session.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
How did you measure your draw length?

I would suggest getting your hands on a recurve that you can easily draw and use it to measure your actual draw length.

Furthermore, shooting high wrist versus low/medium can add more than 1 inch to your draw length.

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
For purposes of target shooting and general recreational archery, generally, the longer the bow, the more pleasant it will be to shoot. I'd recommend the 25" riser and long limbs for 70" overall length.

Nothing wrong with the Hoyt riser, but you might want to take a look at the SF Forged Plus riser, too. About the same price point but comes with a basic flipper arrow rest and plunger. They seem to get great reviews. I was duly impressed with the two samples I've seen thus far.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Great recommendations. I agree with Dave about also looking at the SF Forged +. I have not owned or shot a Horizon but I do have a 21" and 23" Excel riser and owned the Forged +. Personally I felt the Forged + is a little nicer riser, but thats just me. I would still be shooting it but traded into a Spig BB. Also start light with limb weight and enjoy!

·
Barefaced tightropewalker
8,511 Posts
Three questions:
1. Is that combination acceptable for a beginning archer for recreational/target shooting...20-40 yards.
2. Can the draw weight be adjusted up/down by a couple of pounds if needed?
3. The people at Lancaster Archery gave me the following AMO info:
Short Limb = 66" ; Med Limb = 68" ; Long Limb = 70". I am thinking the longer length would be easier to shoot? Any thoughts on the upside/downside to the three different lengths would be appreciated.
1. Yes, two points. Black Max limbs are rated at 28" of draw on a 17" riser. They will lose ~ 8# on a 25" riser. They will gain ~2# per inch of draw over 28".
2. Yes, ~10% upwards with bolts full in compared to full out.
3. See above, I agree unless you are short armed for your height that your DL will likely end up around 30".

·
Premium Member
12,110 Posts
welcome to the forum

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great feedback - Thanks.

After doing some more research I am going to order the SF Forged Riser+ & TradTech Black Max long limbs in #35 which should give me about #29 @ 30" draw length.

One last question:
I didn't realize arrow nocks are not one standard size - I have 12 Carbon Express Predator II 20/40 arrows that were given to me - will a 14 strand D97 string fit those nocks? I looked on the CE web site and they don't give any nock size info...if not what string/strand size should I order?

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Height and draw length don't always go hand in hand. I'm 6'3" and draw 29.75". This was measured by a bowyer who said "medium" limbs were perfect for me. I also agree the SF Forged + is a great riser, mine shoots very well.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Match your string to the bow. You then select a serving diameter to match your nock. If the nocks are too loose, use some dental floss. Also, lots of instructions here and on other sites about how to tie a nock indicator, instead of using a brass crimp-on one.

Enjoy your new bow.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts