Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I put the limbs on the hunting bow and strung it up for a few shots. The increased weight was obvious, but manageable. I couldn't hit anything, but that's another topic for another day. Lol This morning I bent over to hook my beagle on her leash and BAM my back/chest knotted up and I thought I was having a heart attack! It was hard to breathe, but the pain was more in my back. After the visions of Red Fox chanting "this is the big one" has subdued, it became obvious the muscle(s) along my spine on my draw side had spasm/knotted up. No doubt it's from shooting the heavier weight bow, and not properly stretching before/after. Getting old doesn't have to be painful, but some precautions have to be taken. What do you guys do pre/post a session of shooting to prevent issues?

·
Super Moderator
7,978 Posts
well, i am only 79 so can't speak to what old guys do. what i do is work with resistance bands every day. do full body workouts with 70# and 90# bands and then pulling simulations with a 50# bowfit band. also still work every day but sunday.

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I guess Im not "old" yet Larry, but feel it sometimes. Ive been doing full body workouts for a month now with free weights, so I was shocked to have this happen actually. I have back issues, where it hurts now is one of the 2 places. I injured it years ago being stupid, carrying a deer on my shoulders and I tripped and fell to my knees, having the weight of the deer pile drive me to the ground. "kids" dont do that, even if your trying to get a deer across a plowed field like I was. Well the good news is I can shoot my bow with no pain, just hurts to move and pull arrows. Off to the state champion ibo today.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.