Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, need your advice again. The hair rest my grizzly came with is torn to crap, shedding, and is falling off. Thinking about replacing it with one of those leather rests from 3rivers. They seem to have great reviews. What are your thoughts? For those of you with experience with leather rests, what are the advantages/disadvantages? What differences will I notice? Thanks fellas.

·
j-san = Jason
1,683 Posts
Leather is a pretty good shelf material. Nice and durable. In my opinion, I find the firmer shelf materials like leather can be a little less forgiving of a bad release. Cushy rest materials like hair and soft sided Velcro seem to be more forgiving of a bad release and less than ideal tune. In my opinion, I find the Velcro stuff to by the best on my bows. Found a 3yd. roll on the bargain bin at the local hardware store for a little over a dollar. That much would easily last me the rest of my shooting years.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks J! appreciate the feedback. Id like leather for the durability, but on the other hand, my release isn't perfect and my arrows haven't been formally tuned. Ill see hot it goes and make a call from there. Thanks again man!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Ive had fantastic luck with Traps Feather Rest. Its a happy median between shooting off the shelf and a actual rest. Very easy to install shoots very well and is easy to tune. Its 5 turkey feathers cut down glued to leather and shaped for towards the riser to keep your arrow in place and Ive got probably 2000 shots off mine and still looks new.
You can order one from 3 rivers as Dennis makes them for 3rivers or you can contact him direct to order at this email '[email protected]'

Photos:

·
Spearhead
3,573 Posts
Never shot a feather rest, I also like Velcro, it does wear out eventually, after 1000 and 1000 of shots, easily replaceable and easy to find anywhere.

Leather I haven't used also but have used beavertail, expensive but wears like nails that is some seriously rugged stuff.
The drawback I don't like with beaver tail is it's usually recommended to glue on, glueing to a beautiful expensive wood riser I will not do.
What I've found to work (should work with leather also) put the cement of choice on the back of the tail or leather, smear around, let dry.
Then get double sided tape and instal over the dried cement, cut desired shape and instal on shelf/strike plate.

Removable if you choose but it is very secure, durable and will not damage bow finish

Chad

·
Registered
174 Posts
+1 on soft sided Velcro, get mine at the Dollar General, as well as my loc tite gel for fletching. Something about being able to do something inexpensively archery related that is rewarding. Funny thing is I buy a dozen of those loc tite bottles at a time, and get some funny looks from the clerks.

·
j-san = Jason
1,683 Posts
Glad to be of help, Mefferd!

Barge cement is a glue I have found to be great for gluing on leather to a wood riser. It gives a strong hold, but is not permanent and will peel off without harming the finish (at least on my bows).

Another form of adhesive I have found to work well is the 3M Command strips normally used for hanging wall hooks. Used them on my 1970s Bear recurve to affix a leather rest and if you cut it in such a way to leave a little tag for gripping, you can pull it and it will peel off the bow leaving the leather and finish unharmed.

·
Premium Member
12,806 Posts
Leather, yes, Velcro, yes....I like the "bear Hair" they sell in archery and wally stores too....3.50$ or so and a small piece of it gets several replacings.
I also like the feather rests real well as SHTF posted up.
I have used cut-off toothbrush heads, shaped /rounded with Dremel tool.
Can shorten bristles or shape - round them to suit with a belt sander or angle grinder.
They work real well, and last a long time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts