Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Victim of Geography
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will not be of interest to the seasoned gap shooters but it was of interest to me.

I posted a while back about shooting the same gap from 15m to 38m and thought the results were abnormal. Many pointed out it was common knowledge that an optical illusion takes place.

So I shot from distances with my focus on the actual arrow tip to get the following gaps, distances in meters and gap in inches.

5m 10"
7m 12"
10m 14"
15m 16"
20m 17"
23m 17"
25m 18"
30m 10"
35m 2"
40m -6"

This just showed me that when focusing on the arrow as opposed to focusing on the target point to be hit gives very different results. I know you all knew this this but it was revealing to me!

Here is a picture of the target at 35m, the bottom arrows are when I focused on the arrow point lined up with the bottom of the bag. The higher arrows are focusing on the middle of the cross with the arrow tip sort of blurred but also at what seemed to be the bottom of the bag.

Attachments

· Super Moderator
3,011 Posts
Note that there is little change from 15 to 25 meters (and yards). I have often found that newcomers can pretty readily learn those distances, but that reaching out to 30 is problematical.

It was for me until one year I decided to get good at 30. I would begin and end each practice session at 30. And when I came across 30 yard shots on the course I would be sure to focus well. I eventually learned it and still generally gain on the field on 30 yarders. - lbg

Reactions: Zulu

· Victim of Geography
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's not wise to dismiss something before you have tried it, hence the try it yourself attitude.

If I had started shooting with this method I would have been way ahead in my game.

· Registered
7,401 Posts
It's not wise to dismiss something before you have tried it, hence the try it yourself attitude.

If I had started shooting with this method I would have been way ahead in my game.
Simply out of curiosity (and in light of your comment), have you tried it the other way around??? That is, pinpoint focus on your intended point of impact and having your arrow tip in secondary vision?

Tom

· Victim of Geography
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That was what I did in the other thread I posted. I focused on the target point I wanted to hit and had the arrow in my secondary vision, the arrows all hit within a few inches vertically even though I kept the same gap with the arrow in my secondary vision.

Those gaps I posted on here were me focusing on the arrow tip with it at the bottom of my target bag.

You can see from the picture I posted the difference from having the tip in secondary vision and having the arrow tip in focus and pointed to the base of the bag.

· Registered
7,517 Posts
This is why IBO trad class shooters are so particular about their point on. If you set the right point on you can get the same basic gap for that mid range distance where 90% of the shots happen. Might be why some guys get funky arrow flight ;-).

Matt

---------------------------------------------------

Team Montana - we are coming for your quarters ;-)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.