Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
THIS IS NOT A SCIENTIFIC REPORT .....THIS IS NOT A SCIENTIFIC REPORT :)

This video is only meant to be for fun

In no way am I saying that this is hard science or fact

Just a fun video showing what a top of the line ILF production Hunting setup and what I believe to be one of the finest high performance custom recurves sounds like relatively to each other

This is only comparing these bows to each other.

I had questions about my two newest rigs

Like how much quieter is split finger vs 3 under on them

Even thou both bows are quiet which one is quietest :)

Lastly how good is my tune

Both bows are bareshaft tuned

Both bows are right around 55#'s @ my draw

both bows are shooting a 29 1/4 inch shaft

The head weights on both shafts total 225 (100 grain insert 125 grain head)

Here is the strange part

One is shooting a 340 and one a 400 spine

Both arrows weight right around 520 ish grains

This is not an apple to Apple comparison

The only thing these bows have in commen is that the are top of the line in there prospective fields

They are both using BCY strings from Chad

One is 8190 the other BCY X

Again this is not an apple to apple comparison

It is for my own use to see what my chosen bows set up the way I will hunt with them are doing

I think some of you will be surprised how quiet an ILF and Super Recurve can be when tuned well

Thanks again and I hope you scientific types take it easy on me :)

Now that these bows are tuned the next video will be of the Covert Hunter shooting an endless loop,against the Flemish. Both are made of BCY X

·
Back Yard Hack
746 Posts
I love this stuff !!!!!!

Thanks for the video Joe. :)

·
Registered
677 Posts
Really neat test Joe, and you actually did about as good as possible to control variables.

Looks like both both are basically identical in max noise, with 3 under being just a tiny fraction louder.

Thanks for putting in the effort. :)

·
Premium Member
4,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Rick and Mitch

I just try to record the actual nonsense I do :)

The kind words are appreciated

I am curious to see if I find a difference between endless and Flemish

·
Back Yard Hack
746 Posts
Well Sir, you just keep right on recording, because (did I mention) I love this stuff?

I'm betting on well tuned & set up rigs, you're not going to notice much sound difference between endless & flemish. Tuning trumps all. :)

Rick

Reactions: JParanee

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
Sorry to hijack the thread.... but where the Sam Hill is the video??? I'm using my Ipad and I can't see it anywhere on the thread..... Help please!

Tom

PS- For some reason it wasn't appearing on my screen….But it is now…. And I very much enjoyed the video Thanks for taking the time to make it!

·
Banned
548 Posts
Cool video. What always amazes me is how different a bow sounds when I'm not the one shooting it.

Even if I'm standing right next to it, They always seem quieter when I'm not the one shooting.

Any one else notice that?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Yes, thats what I notice every time, when I give one of my bows to anyone else for trying it out.
Wow, much more quiet than my shooting, I always think.
tj

·
Barbarian Tyrant
971 Posts
Thanks for the test J. I've always found split finger is quieter to my ears but just can't shoot that way anymore.

Years ago I wrote to Norm Mullany (sp), the man who tested compounds for one of the magazines, and asked him to test for sound. He replied that he would think about it but said there were so many variables he thought it would be difficult to get meaningful data. Your video is good enough for me.

·
Premium Member
4,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Joe, nice job. Thanks for taking the time to do the test and posting the video.
My pleasure Percy

Thanks for the kind words

It was just so,etching that I wanted to see and it answered a lot of my own questions

While three under was a tad louder it was not disturbingly louder for me

These two bows exemplify what is out there in production and custom rigs and I really enjoy shooting both of them

·
Registered
657 Posts
Great video,as usual, Joe. Thanks for posting it.

I love the looks of the beaver fur silencers but in my un-scientific testing, it seems that cat whiskers do a better job ( but don't look as nice). Have you tried other string silencers? For wet weather hunting, how would the beaver fur hold up?

·
Premium Member
4,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Great video,as usual, Joe. Thanks for posting it.

I love the looks of the beaver fur silencers but in my un-scientific testing, it seems that cat whiskers do a better job ( but don't look as nice). Have you tried other string silencers? For wet weather hunting, how would the beaver fur hold up?
Hi buddy

Jeff the cat whiskers in my unscientific research :) do work better but they also slow the bow down a tad bit more

I also like wool and feel they even work better than the fur

But alas I just love the look of the Fur :)

And as you can see they work well enough that I am fine with the dampening effec they give me

As for water they shed it quickly and a gentle strum clears them quickly . I just puck the string every now and than to clear it.

Only negative to fur for me is the briars and chiggers that get caught in them on occasion

1 - 20 of 25 Posts