Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I still haven't been able to find them! I want to get the full length so it will be easier with my router setup and they're a perfect .75" wide.
I tried to join POA a few times to contact Jim about them but my registration never goes through.
Does anyone have the CAD files for them that were being emailed around at one point or know of another way I could get ahold of Jim Mann? Or possibly have some inserts for me?
I saw that the brass inserts from TradTech are back in stock but theyre metric and that seems like a huge PITA to me!

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
20,889 Posts
Just cross reference the metric to standard and fire up the router.:cheers:

·
Premium Member
20,889 Posts
Travis do you have the width of the Lancaster dovetail? You ought to call and talk to John Wert and ask him what they measure. You may be able to get a close convert to standard or you may be able to order a router bit on fleabay?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I might do that if I can get someone to come off of the full length, I know some of you are just sitting on them! So after I routed the slot for the insert i would have to buy limb bolt hardware like this.
http://www.lancasterarchery.com/tradtech-ilf-limb-bolt-kit.html#fullDescription
but im still confused as to what the limb bolt goes into and how far from the insert you drill it. what kind of threaded insert would you use for the limb bolt? and I saw where you mentioned 2.10 spacing from the radius but im not sure what that means.

·
Pete
5,610 Posts
I use 20mm router on my wood risers and set it up so insert screw anchor hole is 1-7/16" centre to centre with limb bolt hole. The limb bolt hardware above is correct. Btw I prefer Lancaster riser insert.

·
Premium Member
20,889 Posts
From the center limb bolt to the end of the dovetail is 2.100,,I will do the math and try and make it easier to understand. You could just measure the Proline you have from me,,it is correct.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright so I'm following so far, flush the top of the insert to the plane of the riser and the bottom to the side. How do you go about drilling you limb bolt hole perfectly in line with the insert and each other? Do you use a drilling jig? That's why I wanted a full length because it seems to make the whole alignment process easier. I don't have as much experience as you seasoned fellas.

·
Premium Member
20,889 Posts
I use a milling machine,,Broadside is Journeyman with a router so maybe he will post an answer.

I find center by the center of the width dimension. I have used a string and drop and also a laser to find center line but if you measure carefully the center is in the,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,middle. I do not mean to be fascistic by saying that but in the case of a Bow, the string will dissect the same line you create in relation to the centershot of the bow.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finding center isn't really the issue it's just making a perfectly centered hole freehand with a drill press.

·
Premium Member
3,734 Posts
Use a vice or a jig and some clamps to hold the riser securely. Measure carefully. Start with a small bit so you can see that you are hitting your mark, without moving the riser, step up to the size bit you need. Sometimes working with limited tools takes longer, but it can be done.

·
Pete
5,610 Posts
All mine are done with hand tools, drill press etc. Measure twice (or more) cut/drill once. The first is the hardest.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Its actually a lot easier than it first appears. Try on some block of waste wood to start with making sure the router is secured to the underside of a table with router bits facing upwards. Use two guides for the riser block to ease into the router to cut.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
awesome, What length ILF hardware should I buy. I have some take down hardware could I just use that and make a bushing?

·
Premium Member
20,889 Posts
Hey Bro, the top ones are limb bolt bushings and the bottom ones are to glue in for stabilizers etc.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
so the limb bolt kit, the top link, has everything i will need beside the ilf insert? I dont need a collar for the limb bolt or is that just a warf thing? And also which size should I buy?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts