Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been able to tune off the shelf with full length arrows and point weight, is there any reason to cut my arrows down? My DL is 28 1/2” and I shoot instinctive.

·
Registered
6,463 Posts
I've been able to tune off the shelf with full length arrows and point weight, is there any reason to cut my arrows down? My DL is 28 1/2" and I shoot instinctive.
Instinctive or not and whether it's your conscious or subconscious doing the aiming?...a longer pointer is always more accurate...just like the longer sight radius of long barreled rifles and pistols over short barrel rifles and pistols.

I practice and regularly use a number of different aiming systems and when I shoot what I would call instinctively?...my subconscious visualizes what I can only describe as this..."Line In The Air"...where the longer the arrow?...the easier that line is to visualize and line up with and the reason why is because "my subconscious gaps"...(that I'm not wasting any conscious effort managing so I can spend that on the physical execution of my shot)...just became smaller due to the longer full length arrow shafts.

Welcome to Gapstinctive with long arrows. ;)

·
Premium Member
12,275 Posts
nope.

·
straight arrow
612 Posts
It's not broke so don't try to fix it.
Full length arrows don't need a change your point-on since you don't gap or string walk.
Full length arrows are much easier to sell.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t overlooking something.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Yes, if you want to shoot a heavier arrow. I wouldn't, but the question was 'any reason' so the correct answer is yes.

Bowmania

·
Registered
787 Posts
Yes, if you want to shoot a heavier arrow. I wouldn't, but the question was 'any reason' so the correct answer is yes.

Bowmania
You are missing something there : correct answer FOR ME

PS Where is he saying he wants to shoot a heavier arrow? He said he was able to tune the arrow full length.

·
Premium Member
12,275 Posts
Draven, are you a lawyer? haha

·
Registered
317 Posts
It becomes a matter of personal choice. When I get a new set of arrows cutting them to length is the first thing I do with them. I don't tune with length. By doing it this way my sight "picture" remains consistent regardless of arrows.

There is no one and only way to do archery. The one rule that is imperative is that you be consistent.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It becomes a matter of personal choice. When I get a new set of arrows cutting them to length is the first thing I do with them. I don't tune with length. By doing it this way my sight "picture" remains consistent regardless of arrows.

There is no one and only way to do archery. The one rule that is imperative is that you be consistent.
I thought of that but even though I don't aim with the point if I did the arrows all being full length would be the same.
I now have three recurves and one long bow and was happy to see that I was able to tune my arrows by point and insert weights.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Unless you are struggling to get a long enough point-on there is no benefit to cutting. Light arrows can be built full length.

·
Premium Member
2,235 Posts
For me... the longer the better. :)

·
Trad is for stumpin
196 Posts
Some shoot and tune an arrow so back of point /insert is just to the front edge of shelf. Using it as a draw check. I tune mine to get the point on optimized for the target/game I am pursuing. For 3D in my area a point on of about 18 yd is working well. Targets range from 5 to 30 yds usually so almost all aiming points are in the animal. Helps greatly with my target panic issues.

·
Registered
199 Posts
My draw length is 26.5 and I leave my shafts full length. In fact, I look for the longest shafts I can buy that will tune to my setup.

The one exception is my barebow rig (a new world to me), which I'm shooting with a fixed crawl. The goal with that one is a screaming fast arrow, so the Dremel has been getting a real workout on those shafts so I can hit tune with the lightest points possible. But the crawl eliminates the need for longer shafts to reduce the point on.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts