Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
figure the grains per pound of your bow and arrow. figure your fps per pound of your bow. Now divide the gpp by the fpspp you would get a bow index that seems like it would tell you meaningful info. The fly in the ointment is draw length.

Did anyone come up with a bow index from fps, draw len, and arrow weight?

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,696 Posts
Isn't that the same as dividing the weight of your arrows by the speed of your arrow?

(gr/lb)/(ft/s/lb) = gr/(ft/s).

Thus, it is unnecessary to know your gpp. In fact, you do not even need to know the weight of the bow.

I would probably use the reciprocal of the equation since ft/s is the observable that you are trying to influence. Whether it is useful depends on whether it can be used as a decent predictor, and over what range. It might do a pretty good job estimating speed changes with small changes in arrow weight (assumes linear relationship which is often good over small changes, i.e. ft/sec/gr = constant).

·
Super Moderator
7,978 Posts
rusty, if you do the pounds of draw weight at your draw length differing draw lengths would make no difference, would it?
if a 55# bow shot a 440 grain arrow 196 fps, it would be 3.56 fps per pound of draw weight. if a bow weighed 55# at 27" draw and shot the same specs it would also be 3.56 fps per pound of draw weight.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I only care what number my arrow stick's in, that's the only one that matters. Just Sayin Cal
Cal...good thinking ...this weekend my arrows did not stick in the NUMBER I wish!!!

Dewayne

PS I might have to go back to instinctive...

Jus saying.

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well it really wasn't about speed per Sa. It was about trying to find a batting average for bows in general. We could discuss a bow by bow indices.

My bow .300 :)

Now if we factored in our scores....... LOL

I was in a jury selection panel. A daughter was try to collect 6 million in punitive damages for her 86 year old mother's death. Her lawyer ask me if I understood why the miss adventure of an 86 year old lady would be worth 6 million.

I said sure if she lived in New York and had 400 batting average. Even the Judge broke out in a laugh. Then got mad at me for being sarcastic over the lady death. I assured him it was not the lady death but the daughter's cashing in I was being sarcastic over..... he got mad again.

Zee how much easier indices are to discuss?? :sbrug:

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's basically a good idea Rusty but would it be a benefit or just a talking point?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Level the playing field in discussion. If an index of 600 was good and I was shoot a bow with an index of 300 then to get better I am likely going to have to get a bow with a better index.

I hear all the time, " a slow ten is better than a fast miss". I have to ask does the poster know a what slow bow is? And is the shooter/poster shooting slow bow. I bet a quarter he is not shooting a slow bow. If he thinks he is I'll lend him some limbs then see what he says. LOL

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,696 Posts
I'll take a slow 10 over a fast miss any day, just sayin Sometimes the obsession with arrow speed borders on the ridiculous 👍

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am a right speed guy, rather than a fastest speed guy. I look for the speed that gives me the best sight points for the distances that I am shooting. A couple of years ago I had to slow down my bow to get a better sight point at 70 meters.

And remember, first you need to learn how to shoot the slow 10. The turtle only beat the hare because the rabbit was over confident and took a nap. I am not sure the race would turn out the same if they had a rematch (i.e. learned to more effectively shoot the faster bow).

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I was in a jury selection panel. A daughter was try to collect 6 million in punitive damages for her 86 year old mother's death. Her lawyer ask me if I understood why the miss adventure of an 86 year old lady would be worth 6 million.

I said sure if she lived in New York and had 400 batting average. Even the Judge broke out in a laugh. Then got mad at me for being sarcastic over the lady death. I assured him it was not the lady death but the daughter's cashing in I was being sarcastic over..... he got mad again.

Zee how much easier indices are to discuss?? :sbrug:
That's the funniest thing I've read all week! :lol:

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Even if there was such a system that let you buy a rig based on that number, wouldn't individual shooting styles and need pretty much render the system useless? We have numbers now....riser length, limb length, draw weight, and draw weight on a particular riser. How would you know what your ideal number is without experimentation and shooting a bunch of combinations of limbs/risers? Which sounds eerily familiar to what I do now. Kinda leads us right back to where we started doesn't it?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.