Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bit of a disaster this weekend, we planned to shoot 3D in Finland and as we came of the Ferry and waiting at the lights the truck next to us took out the side of Katrin's 4x4 and front Tyre, drivers door jammed shut, by the time the police on recovery truck had sorted us the tourney was well under way, rather than waste the trip Kats decided to stay another day and shoot the IFAA Field round on Sunday, our good Finnish friend Jarrko Lehtinen put us up for the night and he was already hosting my English Friends Nigel and Paul.

Problem I had was the 3D was 35y max with a number of broadhead shots and blunts as well, the bow was setup for this 3D using 500 Lightspeeds, 125g points and 3" feathers and wound up to around 47#, the previous weekends 3D this setup worked great, problem with the Field round was that I'm shooting 4 arrow ends and no clue where to aim past 50y, first 10 targets was fine but I quickly ran into problems, not being able to settle into the spot and ended up holding at anchor longer and longer which fatigued me even more, 20 targets in I had nothing left and decided to stop shooting. On the up side it was an amazing course with 30 degree up/down shots and helped me figure out my cuts, I was pretty accurate estimating the angles (friend confirmed with range finder), and think I found my draw weight limit with Recurve.

Today back home got the bow wound back down to 41-42# and new 550 Carbon1's with 100g points, 3" feathers and they bareshaft tune fantastic out to 25y, with that lighter draw weight I'm holding steady on the spot and releasing with good Form, 55y point on which is ideal for IFAA 3D and setup is perfect for WA3D (33y max).

I also set the Moon up with 36# Kaya tropics, set 37# OTF with my 610navs 1.5" vanes, these also bareshaft to 25y really well and give me 55y point on, I'm considering using this setup for Field and keep the Vanquish set up for 3D which is my main focus this Summer.

Annoying problem with the Moon is arrows start to drift left at 45y I've gone from very stiff spring all the way to a weak spring and still the same results (bareshaft is spot on at 25y) all I can think is the Moon isn't as stiff a riser as the Vanquish, it's kinda puzzling.

some lessons learnt at the weekend and found my Form limits, got to see my buddies so it wasn't a wasted weekend :cheers:

·
Barefaced tightropewalker
8,512 Posts
Sounds like Kats had a lucky escape. RTA's are never fun and always leave you perturbed. Still, an archery weekend would have settled the nerves.:)

One thing I've found recently is that the Bing translator does NOT do a good job with Estonian! I saw Kats FB post but it may as well have been in Swahili.

Maybe you need a marginally weaker arrow with the Moon...? Or a CS whisker adjustment?

How's the face?

Reactions: steve morley

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bing translator does NOT do a good job with Estonian!

How's the face?
They presented Kats with a selfbow, the previous year she borrowed one the week before the tourney to shoot IFAA Euro Indoors, she won setting new National/Euro records, they decided (the Fins) she had such natural talent in this div they would present her with her own Historical bow in prep from IFAA world Indoors in Estonia next March.

The face has healed well, I will be left with a couple of scars on my head to remind me not to play with matches again.

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Steve,

I admire your ability to focas on new learning in the face of adversity. Thank you for sharing.

Rasyad

1 - 6 of 6 Posts