Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have figured out a lot of string walking over the last 30 years. That is from a high bunting anchor. There is a lot I don't know about SW from a low anchor.

The stacked dots is a hard target for me. I was shooting 7 yards with a 2&3/4" crawl.

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One thing I did not know was how much downward pressure a deep crawl would cause. I was shooting off a bieter rest, the light one. All was fine for 12 shots then point of impact changed radically.

Downward pressure bent the light arm about 3/8" down.

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Maybe a 2&3/4" crawl is a little deep. What is the longest usually crawls shoot from a low anchor?? anyone got ant ideas?
I don't have a tape handy Rusty, but my longest crawl was down on my third finger on the tab, index in corner of mouth and "C" hooked thumb under the chin like Ty Pelfrey. A guess would be 1.5" roughly. You don't want a crawl that is off your tab.

Edit: now that you see your not collapsing, and the arrows are grouping, and you don't see the bow torque, what is the value of using the formaster?

Reactions: rusty craine

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't have a tape handy Rusty, but my longest crawl was down on my third finger on the tab, index in corner of mouth and "C" hooked thumb under the chin like Ty Pelfrey. A guess would be 1.5" roughly. You don't want a crawl that is off your tab.

Edit: now that you see your not collapsing, and the arrows are grouping, and you don't see the bow torque, what is the value of using the formaster?
Yes, I think that about covers it. Those limbs are 28# on my fingers. I can experiment with the 'touche' of my anchor and see how it affects the shot. Applegate's touche look very hard into his face. This gentleman's touche seems moderate.

He looks to have about exactly a tab width crawl.

·
Barefaced tightropewalker
8,512 Posts
I think a 2.75" crawl is long. You could try longer (if possible, heavier also- aluminium) arrows to reduce the crawl while keeping the anchor, as long as required PO distance allowed. Personally I needed a high NP and large negative tiller to get near a tune. If you ignore the importance of NP in a tune and just go for arrows that fly straight, more fletch should help arrow flight, again with a PO penalty. So what you gain from the low anchor would be lost in reducing the crawl but you'd maintain the form benefits of a lower anchor.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
A strongly negative tiller will likely help for those big crawls. It'll also force a higher NP which may reduce how far you have to crawl as well.

-Grant

·
markliep
687 Posts
Don't know if I have the formula Rusty but when I moved to a low anchor I just ended up adding the vertical distance from the old top forward anchor point (top of eye tooth) to the new bottom mid-chin forward vertical point - was an added couple of inches; prefer gapping for hunting but once the turkey's are in bed am intending to SW some more - seem to recall that I was combining the full tab width + distance based on stitch number...would be nice to be able to have permanent marks on your tab - M.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Don't know if I have the formula Rusty but when I moved to a low anchor I just ended up adding the vertical distance from the old top forward anchor point (top of eye tooth) to the new bottom mid-chin forward vertical point - was an added couple of inches; prefer gapping for hunting but once the turkey's are in bed am intending to SW some more - seem to recall that I was combining the full tab width + distance based on stitch number...would be nice to be able to have permanent marks on your tab - M.
FITA/WA allows marked tabs, but the marks must be uniform in size and distance. The rule was changed a few years back.

-Grant

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.