Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Setup a new makenzie shot blocker the other day and began shooting some carbons. Being a new target with no worn areas I notice something interesting. The footed carbons penetrated a little deeper than the non-footed. The footed bareshaft penetrated the deepest. These are ICS bemans, all have 100 brass inserts. You would think with the larger surface area and "fatter" field point the footed carbons would have less penetration. Must be the addtional 8-10 grains ? An Interesting observation but I still can't get out of the 240's.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I'd guess it is a friction thing. Just like hunters prefere a shaft slightly smaller than the ferrule of the BH. With your foot you initially make a large hole. Once the arrow gets in 1-1/2 to 2" the shaft is smaller diameter than the hole. Less friction, more penetration.

·
Registered
5,385 Posts
I agree with dan. Kinda reminds me of the old skinny Beman pultrided shafts with outserts. Penetration always seemed superior - at least on foam anyway.

Not sure what you mean by "still can't get out of the 240's"?

·
Banned
1,624 Posts
Also you will have a slightly higher FOC and the tune of the arrow could be very slightly different.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My score for a 300 round ranges from 238-244. Once in a great while I will accidently get into the 250's. Will be doing a lot of bare bail and back to basics. Geting out of the 240's is tuff, for me anyway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts