Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am doing pretty good shooting split vision with FMJ 5mm arrows (black). I am getting older and my eyes aren't as sharp as they once were. I was thinking about getting a dozen FMJ Autumn Orange to help out my peripheral vision. I tried using tape on the end of the shaft like the Push, but no matter how I use it I can't see it in my peripheral vision.I have been shooting a long time and used to xx75 Autumn orange.

I am just wondering if anyone is using them and if they feel it helped. Roger Rothar used to dip his entire shafts white.

Thanks
Gil

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just checked them out. I need to find out more about the outsert deal. A lot cheaper than the Fmj.

Thanks for the input. I never saw or heard about these before.

Gil

·
Registered
29 Posts
Gil, the white axis barebow shafts are great! But I would not trust the outserts. They broke on me. I got replacement inserts from Iron Will that are the regular HIT inserts, but titanium. They make a collar as well if you feel you need that. Adds to the cost, but I feel it makes the arrow a lot stronger.

·
Registered
334 Posts
varmint101, are you talking about the 75 gr. Easton stainless steel half outs? I am curious how you broke these, do you mean they broke at the shaft behind them?

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I picked up a half dozen 340s. I am going to give them a try.

Thanks for the recommendation.
Gil

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I used strips of fluorescent yellow wraps before I went totally instinctive shooting and they worked extremely well, really bright in the daylight. View attachment 36353
I tried both yellow and a fluorescent white 1” wide and can’t see it. I think because I use a thumb tab and anchor high, I can’t see it because I don’t look down at the arrow. I look more down the shaft to the target. I assume your anchor is lower which enables you to see it.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I tried both yellow and a fluorescent white 1” wide and can’t see it. I think because I use a thumb tab and anchor high, I can’t see it because I don’t look down at the arrow. I look more down the shaft to the target. I assume your anchor is lower which enables you to see it.
Yep, three under with index finger to the corner of the mouth.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I received the Barebow only shafts today. The full length shaft to the end of the outsert is 1.5" longer than my FMJ full length shafts. The full length shaft is 33.75", while the FMJ is 32.25. I will fletch some up and shoot them tomorrow. The full length shaft with a 250 grain field tip weigh 627gn vs 649 gr for the FMJ (without fletching). Both shafts are 340 spine.

I will let you know how they compared for peripheral visibility and if the longer shaft changes the size of my gaps.

Gil

Netbook Office supplies Wood Gadget Communication Device

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
I will second Varmint101 on the aluminum halfouts. They bend and bend easily. The arrows are great but I wish they had a better system for the point end. It’s a pain to have to order components separately to build a solid arrow.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I bought a dozen inserts also, but I like the outsert. I think I will use the inserts and order a set of steel outsert.

Thanks
Gil

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I fletched up some arrows, but I am going to wait for stainless steel outserts I bought. I would hate to have the supplied ones break inside the arrow.

Hopefully I will get them Monday.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Gil, ones I had break I used a drill bit inside and whooped them out. Didn’t seem to cause any damage.
Thanks good to know. I thought I wouldn’t be able to use heat since I wouldn’t have a point to heat up.

I shot the bare shafts in low light and these arrows work great in shooting in low light. I could still see my Fmj black shaft but these were definitely more visible. Where I hunt the deer the witching hour is very late. I won’t have to be a moon shooter. Ha.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts