Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK it's 9:53 on Thursday evening and I just had a phone call inviting me to a shoot on Sunday. There's going to be an ariel target shoot which I'm desperate to try... but ... no Flu Flu's
Time is a problem ... I'm working all day tomorrow and I promised a farmer friend I'd help with his hay making on saturday and I dont want to let him down.
here's the problem ... I've got no time to buy any specific components and build a set of Flu Flu's and I need a set for Sundays shoot

So what have I got to work with....
I've got about 150 unspined shafts of different woods
I've got a box of odds and sods of 100g 125g brass and 150grain steel ponts
I've got about 500 full length goose feathers
... and some assorted nocks
Putting together a set of shafts with nocks and piles isn't a problem but it's the fletchings I'm struggling with
So here's where I need TT to come the rescue ... how can I use the Goose feathers to fletch my Flu Flu's... how many feathers do I put on? what length do I use, do I wrap them around the shaft?

.... I need some input guys and the clocks ticking

·
Registered
147 Posts
Can you fletch four or five 5" feathers on each arrow? Without more details, I can't be sure this will work. Sometimes 4 square cut feathers are sufficient.

Reactions: Phil

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
I personally don't like the wrapped variety since they seem to not be as durable.

Lighter bows (<40#) work well with 3x5" full height feathers. For heavier bows I would use 6x5" full height feathers.

-Grant

·
Registered
302 Posts
Use normal fletch jig for 3 fletch but after you have done the first feather rotate the shaft 180 and do another feather. east way to 6 fletch.

Reactions: DaveV and Phil

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good advice ... cheers Trevor
So .... am I looking at using six, five inch full depth feathers?

·
Super Moderator
7,978 Posts
the wrapped feathers will work fine for your emergency and have the added advantage of speed. you can just apply adhesive and pin as you wrap and then grab the next arrow. use enough length of feather to make a total wrapped length of at least 5- 6 inches. mark before starting and be sure it does not crowd your fingers when drawing the bowstring.
you can then, later, peel those and do a straight fletch if you desire, when you have more time.

·
Premium Member
3,734 Posts
I use 6- 4" feathers applied as Trevor does. I can usually get two fletchings per feather.

·
Premium Member
4,646 Posts
Quick and easy way to wrap flu flu flights is with fletching tape. They are durable and can be made real quick. I used crazy glue on the ends to hold the feather to the blank. The straight fletch is also applied with tape. Turned once as written in the above post and second set applied. Usual glue covers the end of the feathers. These arrows lasted over six months before needing refletching.

Erich

Attachments

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Guys, you've come to the rescue yet again ... got all the information I need now. :thankyou: :thankyou:

Dan .. Short Draw ..... you guys are Super Stars .. cheers fellas :cheers: :cheers:

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Hank
just got home ... the event was great, 40 3D targets ...the flu flu's eerrrr.. not so great .. wrong spine... wrong length... wrong piles... wrong everything really, but a great learning experience.

On the plus side ( and it's a real plus) I shot my Hill style bow all day today with no hand or wrist pain, so I'm really pleased about that

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.