1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
How long to leave in the clamp?
How long until totally dry?
==============

Hello
Just finishing up a dozen aluminum 1816 arrows.
For me I'm in no hurry. I also like a strong fletch job instead of a pretty one. I allow 15 minuets per vain.
Then after the arrow is fetched. I dab the top and bottom end of the vain. Next I lace one side of the vain with glue.

I use NPV made by Saunders for the base of a vain or feather.
I use Fletch tite Platinum to dab and lase with.Side or sides with.
Reason I say sides. Some times a certain cut thin base vain. Doesn't set flat.
If I can't correct it with adjustments to my fletcher. I then will lace both sides of 2 vains. And lightly drag my index finger down between the 2 vains. Smoothing out the glue with a finger wipe.
I let my arrows set over night. Before shooting them. Also might add here the temperature where your fletching your arrows. Has a lot to do with the flow of your glue thickness.

The reason I use NPV made by Saunders for the base of a vain or feather. ii has a thicker viscosity. Longer drying, reason being. It has more body and less acetone drying solvent..
Where as the fletch tite is thinner, with less viscosity, brought on with the use of more acetone solvent. With less body . Mixed this type cement for a few years.

There are a lot of other glues out there. That other archers use, and swear by.for fletching arrows. My way works for me, can't see changing. [ Later

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I put a feather in the clamp and come back when I think of it. I'd say at least 10 minutes but usually more like 20, unless I forget about it and it sits over night. I always let them stand or lay so there is nothing touching the feathers for 24 hours before shooting them.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
20 min will get it set and dry to remove the clamp and go to the next feather/vane.

A lot will depend on temp and humidity in the room you fletch in

Reactions: Arcus

·
Registered
434 Posts
I always fletch over wraps. I have 12 fletchers set up and by the time #12 is on an arrow I start back at #1. No hurry, just take my time on each one. I use Fletch Tite Platinum, and buy it by the 1/2 pint cans. The wraps make the glue set up faster.

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
Hello
Little add on.
Another reason I use NPV made by Saunders for the base vain or feather. I have less glue getting on my clamp. Now that I use a plastic type camp. Even tho I have metal ones. I find this to be a plus.

Pete spoke of doing 12 at a time on a board set up with 12 clamps.
For this friend shop owner. I built him a round wood holder for 12 clamps.
Took a Lazy Susan and added a round bigger circle. Mounted 12 Bitz clamp holders in a circle formation.
You can set on a stool chair. And just turn the round table top now. For the next arrow. [ Later

·
Space For Sale
229 Posts
Just glue up a vane then sing "The night they drove old Dixie down" and you should be ready for the next one. You can't cheat. You have to sing all the words or your vane might fall off. :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
I use Loc-tite gel. Apply a slim bead, count to 60, next feather or vane

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk 👍🇺🇸
Bows, Broadheads and Backstraps

1 - 14 of 14 Posts