Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I just got back to shooting after a two-month hiatus and noticed that my arrows are fishtailing at 30 yards. This has never happened before, and I haven't changed my set-up at all.

I'm using:
Samick Sage #45 (#50 at my draw)
Shooting off the shelf
31.5" Beaman 340's, 550gr (on average)
8125 FF string
Split finger with glove

Again, the arrows never fishtailed before. Any reason why I might start fishtailing now? Could my form be off so terribly? There was a 9 mph cross wind; could that cause it? I have well over 1000 shots on the string; could that be an issue?

Any advice you have is much appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
2,644 Posts
Check your brace height. Then check your draw length. Then check your follow through. - lbg

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I'd wonder about the cross wind. What you might be seeing is your fletching bucking the wind, not a fishtail from something off in you gear or form.

It's quite possible you are a little rusty after your time away from the bow. A persons form changes over time anyway. The only way to know if it's you, your gear, or the conditions is to watch it over time. Shooting a few bare shafts to confirm your setup might not be a bad idea once you get back in shooting shape.

·
Registered
607 Posts
340 arrows are probably border line stiff for that set-up. You may not be getting all 50lbs after a long lay-off. Give your muscles some time to build back up to the draw weight.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone.

I'm definitely rusty and was getting wobbly after 75 shots or so. My brace height is at 7.75" which seems fine for my bow (7.5 to 8.25 is the recommended height), but the tuning will tell. I'll bare shaft tune for sure.

Easy, I'm using 4" parabolic veins with a right helical and off set. I've seen the arrows spin as they fly down range, but never buck. The arrows are landing perpendicular to the target, no tilting or leaning of any kind. Perhaps it is the bucking I'm seeing for the first time. I would think a light wind like that wouldn't effect things so much, but as I like to say "I'm learning everyday."

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
340 are stiff,use heavier points if you have them.If you are shooting veins and not feathers try raising your nock point.Veins do not fly well off the shelf.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I think it could be the amount of lightly stiff shafts, vanes of the shelf and a "bad release day".
On days like this my arrows are fishtailing when I give a little torsion to the string.
tj

·
Premium Member
4,891 Posts
a bad release can do it to, most likely as with most of out archery "issues" its a complexication of factors----sigh!

·
Barefaced tightropewalker
8,511 Posts
a bad release can do it to, most likely as with most of out archery "issues" its a complexication of factors----sigh!
With age comes wisdom..................

·
Premium Member
4,891 Posts
"With age comes wisdom.................."

I sure hope so-----except its a lot easier to forget it now. :cheers:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry guys, I meant feathers, not veins. I know enough NOT to shoot veins off the shelf - the results would be comical... And a bad release day, oh yeah... I could feel the string was a little too deep in fingers on quite a few pulls.

I got the 340's for extra weight (it was just there in terms of dynamics for my draw weight.) I also use #55 (although not right now, gotta get back in shape!) for which the spine is fine.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
I shot 58# at my 28.5 draw with full length 340's and they showed stiff without a 100 gr insert. I know we all get and accept different results from different setups but I also suspect it could be part of your problem. Having just picked up the bow again I would give it a few sessions before worrying about "parts" problem and focus on possible "operator error" :cheers:

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Back to your original statement.

You say fish tailing AT 30 yards.

Do you mean that or do you mean fish tailing all the way out to thirty yards?.

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
I am a string walker. My first question would be what did you score on a 60 field target? if 15 or above don't fix it :crawfish:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Webster,

It's fishtailing all the way out to the target. And rusty, I was shooting a pie plate, so I have no idea how I scored, other than I missed... a lot! ;)

·
Registered
183 Posts
I just edited my last post. Sorry for my bad english. Its "vanes" and not "veins", right?
Would be scary to use blood vessels at the arrows......wouldnt it?
tj

1 - 20 of 23 Posts