Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to order a Das for a temp bow until my order arrives. I need something to shoot 3d's, turkey hunt, and bow fish. My present bow will be retired and go on the wall, maintaining the beauty rather than get banged up in the boat. Question is, would you rather have a Das with factory limbs or limbs from Sids clearence sale, the Hex 5. I have never seen the Hex 5's. Are they tough enough to withstand rough use? I have assumed that fast, high quality limbs are made without the extra material/weight that makes one set of limbs tougher than the next. [ A light weight bow fishing bow, or cheap one does not work for my application. I need strong bow for shooting big catfish. I presently shoot an oneida eagle at 60 lbs. I could continue to shoot it.... but I would like to be recurve only in all my hunting]

·
Premium Member
4,989 Posts
Daniel thinks they are

I hope its okay that I posted this Daniel

I would love to use my Hex 5's for Bowfishing

We use a big airboat on the rivers up here and I would be afraid one of my buddies would step on it in the dark :) so I usually just use cheap recurves that I don't have to worry about

But I think a dream Bowfishing set up would be the Das and hex 5's :)

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
I don't use anything nice for bow fishing, it will get beat up sooner or later. I use a gen 2 19" Morrison metal riser with black max limbs.

·
Premium Member
3,734 Posts
I have a 17" Dalaa that will be going bow fishing this spring, I bought it with the intention of not being afraid to use it for whatever. Fish slime and dings will mean I'm enjoying the bow to it's fullest. Hex 5's would work great, pretty nice limbs for killing fish.
Proper prep and Duracoat stays on well if you need to change color.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got my riser but having trouble getting the Hex limbs. Email is so frustrating. Seems everything is one day increments, and then get skipped two days, mercy, I am about ready to go another route

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got my riser but having trouble getting the Hex limbs. Email is so frustrating. Seems everything is one day increments, and then get skipped two days, mercy, I am about ready to go another route
My cell or home phone will not allow calls out of country. How does most people handle out of country purchases? Two different occassions I have cleared my bank account for out of country transactions only to let both 3 day windows expire without having accomplished anything. It would seem that I will have to call. Anybody know how to go about this? I don't want to change my phone plan for one or two calls.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
I use Skype every time I order from them or need help.

-Grant

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
1gr8bldr, other than the bow, what set up are you using?
I don't like the "jug". Strong bows pull out to much string so I use the big closed face reels. I shoot the strongest arrow made, expensive, I can't recall the name, but it takes it because a 50+ catfish rolling in shallow water will break most all others. I shoot off the shelf, on my onieda, I used JB weld to make an arrow cradle. I shhot in the daytime, with polarized glasses, going from hole to hole or shallow to shallow shooting from the front deck of my 24 ft seaark with a 150 4 stroke jet. I can drive through 5 inches of water, looking down as I steer from the front, bow in one hand and my other behind me steering with a "ball" mounted to my steering wheel. They usually run from me, but I'll push them shallow and corall them up. I only go about twice a year, for fear that others will see the fun I'm having and abuse the fish. We also shoot carp and gar. This year, I'll be shooting a DAS and hopefully make some awesome video footage.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I use a Hoyt Buffalo for bowfishing. Limbs are tough, riser is tough and it's got enough scratches and dings I don't care about it too much anymore. Shoots off the shelf too.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I use a Hoyt Buffalo for bowfishing. Limbs are tough, riser is tough and it's got enough scratches and dings I don't care about it too much anymore. Shoots off the shelf too.
That is a metal riser.. correct, I am not familiar with.... maybe I am confusing a darodo. They have two similiar ones don't they?

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Yes, metal riser, 19". It uses the proprietary Hoyt formula limb system. I've dropped mine out of trees and whacked the upper and lower limbs on tree limbs and tree stand parts. Outside of scratches nothing broke and some were hard hits.

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Well hurry up with the fishing bow. The carp are in the flats. A Warf would be really good. You can get some used 45# ILF cheap limbs.

Then you can take the same riser indoor season with anothe pair of indoor limbs

Warf most useful, adaptable riser on earth. Not sure about extraterrestrial bows yet altough I have one on back order

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Another day goes by, no answer since my last two emails sent on last wednesday. I still want the limbs... but I can't wait on this. Turkey season starting on Saturday, so I ordered a set from 3 rivers.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I bought a PSE kingfisher with a cajun reel yellow jacket arrow amd AMS penetrator points for fishin. #50 @ 28" got 12 trad only arrows and magnus snuffers for hunting. I aint fished with it yet but hopin git a boat load of carp n gar :)

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Should be a good set up, just right for carp. May want what I call a stopper on your arrow. Carp have lots of bones and with 50 lbs, you will probably blow through most of them. Those bones often cut you string but always weakens it

1 - 20 of 41 Posts