Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright - keep in mind that I've been at this for just a year, and shooting a longbow for a few months only.

Got to shoot my Falco Triumph two times now, so here are the first impressions.

First session, I shot the bow with a brace height of 7" - which is too high for this bow.
It felt smooth, but also was surprisingly slow.

Turns out - officially recommended is 5.5 to 6.5 inches.

So I set it to 6.5 today and shot a full set of 30.
The arrows flew faster and true, the results were horrible. :)
The bow was also a bit "rougher", but not much.

Those results are all my fault, though. The bow shoots great.
It will be a while until we find each other.

Finding the right grip seems to be the key with this one.
You can feel it when you have it, but it needs to be locked in just right.

Still happy about the bow, but I understand the guy who coined the term "struggle stick".

Yeah, the Bearpaw sniper I shot also took a WHILE to get used to the grip.

·
Super Moderator
2,773 Posts
I have found that the way to bond with a longbow is to set up some blunt or judo pointed arrows and wander forest and field. Shoot at acorns, pine cone, dandelions, stumps, etc. Shoot by feel with little conscious though - no range estimation. Enable and encourage the subconscious mind to take charge. It thrives on praise so give it some when the result is good. It will easily find the grip the bow requires.

A longbow is like a new girl friend; it takes a while to learn how she likes to be held.

The subconscious has great capacity to achieve goals so set the intention to hit dead solid perfect plumb center. Make a strong shot. It will take a while but the bond will likely occur if you have suitable arrows. Kindly let us know how it goes. - lbg

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
shooting in the fields and meadows here is forbidden, just too densely populated.

Gladly i have access to different targets, and an outdoor range, as well as great teachers.

Your thoughts on the mind and the subconscious are not in vain though. I’m a (trained, not working in the field) psychologist and meditation has been a part of my life.

I find that I try to hmm… set a “confident” tone when shooting, it seems to help.

The bow will take its time to get to know me, and i’ll take my time to get to know the bow.

Shot again yesterday.
It was surprisingly good shooting. We will ignore the just OK results for now, no sense in prematurely burdening this exploration with high expectations

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I’ll turn this into a bit of a log.

Shot the 5th time today, and finally have the bow tuned to my liking.
Tried different brace heights from 5.75 to 7, installed string dampeners and happy at a brace height of 6.25 (with silencers)

Bicycle part Composite material Wood Circle Fashion accessory

Score!!
Finally shot over 200 again at 20yards, wooden arrows (required by the Swiss Archery Association).
206! yay!

Colorfulness Paint Art Artist Creative arts

Some good groups in warmup.

Result:

Wheel Target archery Recreation Circle Archery

- zielperson

·
Super Moderator
2,773 Posts
I strongly favor reading the holes in the targets. Your arrow group is a bit right but the holes are extremely well centered, left/right, up/down. Remarkably will centered! Championship level.

You still have quite a few 'flyers', errant arrows. One of the tasks I present my pupils is to make 'no bad shots.' I say when you feel a bad shot coming on, do not take it. Let down and begin again.

Do that and you will contend for championships.

Well, one other matter: using wooden arrows, find ways to check your arrows for straightness at home, and after every end. The champion is often the one with the straightest arrows at the end of the day. - lbg

Reactions: zielperson

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the kind words @longbowguy

Working myself out of a little hole right now, and getting used to the bow.
I do read the holes, as I am trying to tighten my goups.

Yesterday was one of the first days in a while that the results were OK.

Actually had to chuckle at the championship. I will compete in March, Swiss Nationals. (Yes, slim chances)

Good thing I shoot together with a really good mentor, who is coaching me right now.

The "let down, try again" is a good tip, actually. I'll try that when I am back at the club tomorrow.

best,
~~// zielperson //~~

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good to hear you are starting to get in sink with the bow. Good shooting too. In general 200 and above is good, 230-240 is very good and 250-260 is excellent for longbow and woodies.
Gapping?
Thanks for the kind words.

With gapping you mean line-walking?

Nope.

I used to shoot between 205-220, but had a bad month, now trying to get past that.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@longbowguy

What irked me was the 8th set of 3 ... that is the three you see in the lower left corner.

AWESOME group, just... yeah...

I guess I got too excited because I was shooting a 23 average so far, and ignored getting tired.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Shot 218/300 @18m/20yrds yesterday.

Good training, but I completely messed up one shot, plucking the string like crazy (like I got "stuck" with one finger") and did not really recover from that.
As can be seen in the last three passes.

However, really getting to know this bow, and getting along better and better.

Colorfulness Rectangle Slope Line Font

·
Registered
972 Posts
The holes on the targets you showed are from centre to the left side - the spread is not centred - and disregarding the fact I don't know how you shoot, that is an indication of stiff arrow. Since normally 25gr increase for woodies don't do a thing, I would go 50gr up - to weaken the arrow - and see the hole spread on the target.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The problem sits behind the bow, I’m afraid.
The left deviation is mostly due to a hiring error. Currently working on a few form issues.

I’ll have to ask what spine these are, and what grain the tips.
The guys I trust at the club rated these for 35-40.

But! I’ll ask, promise.

Much better target picture today, marred by a straggler.

222 / 300 at 18m/20yrd

Wheel Target archery Recreation Circle Art

·
Registered
972 Posts
Stop shooting for score, you will not work on form doing it. Shoot an hour and acknowledge your holes in target face. Until you don’t know why each of them was there, I see no reason to start scoring again.
PS It doesn’t matter how the arrows are rated, it matters what’s your real draw weight while shooting. Check your draw length but not while testing it purposely because the tendency is to give your best at full draw stance. Shoot 10 arrows while filming yourself. How much wood you see past the riser will let you know - you can wrap 10” of painter’s tape on it and draw circles spaced 1”.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Stop shooting for score, you will not work on form doing it. Shoot an hour and acknowledge your holes in target face. Until you don’t know why each of them was there, I see no reason to start scoring again.
you are right. The score is just easiest communicated, What I’m trying for is consistency and grouping.

Mainly working on form (stance, anchoring, aim, release, follow through).

Score is a byproduct.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts