Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So.... I ordered some b55 to learn how to build Flemish twist strings. The first one that I built, was built while watching pausing and rewinding YouTube videos. It didn't end well. I'm not sure if I nicked it somehow but it snapped at the top loop. I built a smaller one for a 15lb kids bow and that bow has never been so quiet. So I tackled the 45lb longbow hybrid and used some of the tips from YouTube and some of my own ideas as to how it should be. I built it about an inch short and strung it up....cautiously. was still a little long to not be stretched yet. I twisted it to 8 and 1/2 inch brace height and let it set for the night. This morning it's 7 and 7/8 inch brace height. It definitely stretched. I'll serve it up today and shoot it to see if it stretches more. I have definitely fallen down the rabbits hole into this traditional archery!

Sent from my SM-A015U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I served the new string and tied a nock in. I went out to shoot it to see how it performed. I was shocked. It shot a perfect bullet from 10 yards and the sound was shockingly quiet with no string silencers installed. I'm going to play with the brace height and see what I get.

·
Spearhead
3,295 Posts
Welcome, since you’ve built your own you are well on your way.
I started out learning with endless loop, tried Flemish, I can’t get the quality I would like so put it to the side for a while.
B55 is a softer shooting material and will be quieter.
Congrats it’s satisfying to make your own.

Chad

·
finger shooter
3,308 Posts
I’ve been building strings for compounds and longbow/recurves for years (endless loop), just for me, close friends and students. I’ve tried my hand at Flemish but like Chad above said... did not like the outcome. There is a Facebook group I think called traditional strings or something like that. Lots of help available. Enjoy this great adventure of single string archery....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is black cherry and silver. The silver seems to have more volume per strand than the black cherry. Maybe colors add or take away from overall size.

·
Registered
59 Posts
You know you have a problem when you start looking to buy bows just to have them to use on the different strings in your new string drawer. Sort of like buying a car to fit the tires in your garage:). Now it's time to build a jig and some d97 and two or three serving jigs and serving to make endless loops.
Once you develop the rhythm making flemish strings can become therapeutic.

·
Spearhead
3,295 Posts
JRT
Hit the nail on the head kinda, I started making strings to fit my bows when I switch from riser to limbs per bow. I prob have 20+ strings made for every possible bow combination I own. It would be way to easy to have one riser and two sets of limbs.
Nope not so easy.
Easier to learn to make strings for every possible bow you own lol

Chad

1 - 8 of 8 Posts