Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Purchasing my nine year old son's first recurve. He's 53" tall and pretty strong for his size. I figure 22-25lbs 24", he has about a 22" draw. I am looking at:
I like this but it's a 30lb
Here is a PSE
And a no name
Any tips and/or other suggestions would be most appreciated.
Check out Stalkerstickbow's grow plan. I think he will build your son a bow for $650 and trade limbs as he grows for $50 each time. Custom stuff a slight upcharge. I think that is a good deal

·
Premium Member
4,963 Posts
Samick Polaris's work great and limbs are relatively inexpensive as he need heavier ones

Starting him out light is the biggest favor you can do for him

This one is about 5 here

And now 9

This one is 6 or 7 here

Now 11

The Polaris's have gone thru two limb upgrades so far

·
Premium Member
2,426 Posts
I would agree with the Polaris as well. We just finished the Kid's League at our local club this evening and my 11yr old really liked the 12# bow. They look nice too.

Joe,
Did you put those arrows together yourself? Love the pink!

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
62" Polaris or Cartel Triple is my vote. Sure it'll be a little long but that isn't a problem in my experience.

-Grant

·
Premium Member
4,963 Posts
I would agree with the Polaris as well. We just finished the Kid's League at our local club this evening and my 11yr old really liked the 12# bow. They look nice too.

Joe,
Did you put those arrows together yourself? Love the pink!
That's me for sure :)

I just made these for the wife also

·
Super Moderator
2,648 Posts
For adults we advise starting with low draw weights to begin. For kids it is different. If the bow is too weak the arrows will not fly well and will not go very far. Very discouraging and many kids give it up. So find some various weights to try and select one that is challenging for him to draw very many times. Kids have short attention spans and he will gain some strength quickly.

Equally important, and harder, is to get him some good light arrows with feather fletching. Walmart toy arrows won't get it done. Call your own custom arrowsmith, or Lancaster Archery and get some good advice. I favor the Beman Carbon Flash shafts and if your arrowsmith won't make them up Lancaster will for a very reasonable cost. - lbg

Reactions: surveywaters

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I ordered a 54" 15# Aim Bullseye off Fleabay for cheap just to let him try the length and weight, but after seeing longbowguy's post I think I messed up. The Samick Polaris will probably be what I go with when I figure out what weight to get.

·
Premium Member
4,963 Posts
The young lady in the white T shirt has great form.

I especially like the way she is holding the bow.

Lilly says thank you :)

She is an exceptional athlete

Very good in all sports and a district champion in track and field

They have been around archery and hunting since they were born

She is the bald monkey in this pic

They are also fans of the sport in general

So do not over bow your child all things in time

If they are over bowed they struggle causing form issues

Which lead to snap shooting and over extending their arm to brace the weight which leads to strings hitting their arm

No quicker way to turn off a kid than welts on the arm and frustration

·
Premium Member
3,734 Posts
Good advise, and beautiful family Joe.

Reactions: JParanee

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Only other thing I would offer, is to be sure you get a bow that can be properly tuned.

Kids (much less adults) don't do well with frustration (arrows flying all over the place).

·
Registered
9,428 Posts
Your daughter Lilly looks like a real shooter JP, what a great family. I 2nd the Polaris but want to add to stay away from the Ragim Matrix. We had them as club bows and they warp and crack real easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
Greatree's Mohegan takedown starts as light as 12# and if you go with the 62" model it starts at 16# and can work upto 40# in 2# increments replacing limbs The same for the Firefox model. The main difference is if you want white or black limbs. I have a 16# Mohegan in stock for $125 shipped if interested.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
As far as poundage I started all of my grandchildren on a 20#@24" Bear Little Bear and they all (boys and girls) moved to a 62" 30#@28" Browning Spartan by age 10. They handle this Spartan fine with their reduced draw length.

At 10 years I bought my grandaughter a 30# Sage which she shoots really well.

These 30# bows at their draw shoot Easton 1716 Blues with enough zip to reach out on a 3-D course.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, the AIM Bullseye Internature is not a very nice bow. The limbs move side to side in the pockets making it impossible to set up correctly. Also, 15# draw for my son is a joke; he looks like he could draw twice that. Now I am on the hunt again, probably the Polaris, and I have a bow I wouldn't feel right about selling, bummer.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts