Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought of this earlier this morning.
My first car I bought with hard earned cash in 1968.....$110.00.
1961 Pontiac Tempest 4 door, 4 cylinder, factory 3 speed on the floor.
Independent rear suspension got to me on a gravel rod corner.....wheel laid over, and it did not end well.
It got crushed.
see Internet photo of one similar to mine.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Nice car steve. My first was a 77 ford courier...learned to drive when I was 12 by traveling ten miles on a dirt road to pick up fresh unpasteurized milk from a local farm. I did that trip hundreds of times by myself before I had a license. Those were the days. That milk was so good!

·
Registered
396 Posts
That’s a beauty Steve!

Mine was a 60 sumptin Ford Falcon, 6 cylinder, 3 on the tree.

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,526 Posts
First car is one of the most common security question. I would refrain from divulging it. In fact, I would delete your posts.

·
Premium Member
12,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
haha Hank, just try deleting your posts.
If you can do it, I'm stunned. You can ALTER them.
"they" removed your ability to delete posts and threads from most sub-forums.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
My first car was a 1967 Firebird that I bought in 1970 for $1400. Blue body, white convertible top and interior. Beautiful car but the metal didn't last long in those years.

·
Premium Member
12,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
NICE PHIL, a friend of mine in college had a ? 1968 Firebird, a real nice car.....we all picked on him a lot as his Dad was a state representative or something, Bruce never had to work much or pay for his own stuff........but we all rode in his car with him.....

Reactions: Phil Magistro

·
Premium Member
2,431 Posts
My first car was a 1972 Dodge Demon with a 318 engine in 1980. Not much to look at but I wish I still had it, or could see it around. It had headers and Cherry Bombs, yes, it was loud.

·
Premium Member
12,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
best car I EVER HAD was just like this one, I bought it when I graduated from college.
I saw this one today and followed the guy 47 miles to talk to him & get pics.
It's ALMOST IDENTICAL in, out, and underneath, to my old one, except this one is AT & mine had a 4-speed.

Reactions: Phil Magistro

·
Registered
199 Posts
Blue '68 Camaro SS. Saved all my summer job cash and bought it for $995 in '77...which is roughly what I paid for the repair when I blew the engine a year later. Wish I had that one back though.

·
Premium Member
12,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeh my first 283/292 lasted about a year, dropped a keeper off a valve, and piston came up & punched the valve right through the camel-hump head. then silence. then antifreeze gurgling from head into block, I suppose. When I tore it down several rods were S shaped. Aargh. I bought a new/REMAN ? Allied 283 long block for I THINK $200 & ran it totally stock several years.

Reactions: Rick Harrelson

·
Bart Harmeling
3,414 Posts
Here is the first car that i bought with my own money. 67 Dodge Dart. I eventually put Cragars on it. Looked good but the 273 with an auto certainly was not in the muscle car class.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Damnit, now Steve has the pass word to my Swiss bank accounts��

·
Premium Member
12,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
your funds are safe I can barely log in here.
Nice car BART, you too RICK.
Cherry Bombs, haha the memories.....Gabriel HiJackers and broken shock mounts from too much air........
I had a friend with a '57 Chevy & he'd buy glass-packs & put a quart of oil in each and drive it all night burning out the backing.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
my first car was a 1963 TR4-A Triumph. actually, it was a "Tri mp " since a few letters had fallen off.:) gave $200 for it in 1972, Dad sold it for $250 in 1974 (while i was on a fishing trip), and threw in a spare motor for it out of a TR-3. have not seen one since that would start for less than $4000. i think Dad got skinned...:2cents:

·
Premium Member
12,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
a friend of mine only ran the ? Firestone wide ovals with the thin red lines. Went through a lot of those tires, he had a pretty good running '64 Ford ffffairlane 289-4speed.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts