Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'Day team,
After nailing a few bunnies, my goal for 2014 is to take fox with my bow, and I had some pretty high hopes for this w'end out west at the in-laws place.
I've pretty well cleared the place out with the rifle over the last few years so I headed to a family friends block about 20km out the road.
I had been told there is the odd goat about & maybe a pig, but I didn't really give it much thought as I was pumped to be having a real crack at a reynard. :)
After a quick chat with the owner I was shown a little valley that is pretty secluded, in some pretty rough country. Gravel hills, iron bark & malley type scrub, with a dam in a clearing a kilometer or so in.
Camo on, I had a few warm up shots with a blunt at some butts of grass and off I went.
About 500m from the ute I pulled up and was about to break out the tenterfield when I spotted a few goats off in the distance!
Holy crap!! Goats!!!
I spent the next few hours getting busted by various mobs, but was learning the whole time. Boots and pack off. Wind in face. All good.
I was about to draw on a nanny at 10m when she winded me and took off. A big black billy stood off at around 50m snorting at me, but the game was up so I headed back to find my boots and head home. A little disappointed, but stoked none the less :)
Heading towards the ute I could still hear old mate snorting off in the scrub. Bugger it, off I went to see if I could let the air out of him.
I got to about 20m when he walked off but following behind was two smaller billies, one a juvenile and the last one, a decent sized bloke with a good set on him.
I drew back, and as he went through a gap in the trees, I released. It looked good, but I soon realized I failed to "lead" him and I hit him a little far back. Fark!!
He pulled up about 40m away and I waited and watched to asses how well he was hit. He was in strife, but I decided to close the gap and finish him.
I let fly and it was all over. He keeled over about 5m away from where he was hit the second time.
What a rush!! I had the shakes and was smiling like a fool!

He went 30 inches. The bow is a samick sage @ 45# shooting easton power flights with 125gn tusker spirits.

· Registered
245 Posts
BRILLIANT!!! Thats a nice Goat and a great story...
What kind of fox do you have there??? looks like gray fox terrain(if in the USA)...
Dropping pack/boots to make the "final approach" is a time-tested tactic, just dont get so focused on the stalk you "forget' where you dropped them...
There are a pair of boots on some ridge in the Santa Ritas of Southern Arizona I never found, the walk out was long and tough... Long because I had to keep stopping to pull cactus spines from my feet... hehehe

· Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks heaps guys! I can't stop thinking about going back and toppling a few of the bigger ones!
Archery should have warning signs posted :p
Honestly though, I know I have more work to do, and I know need to get my arrows better tuned. I hated that feeling of wounding, and I hope never to have it again.

@1shot We have Red Fox (Vulpes Vulpes), they were introduced here in the 1830's so people could hunt them. Unfortunately most of our wildlife have no real predators (other than birds, and the odd dingo) and these foxes take a horrible toll. I am still looking forward to my first trad fox :)
Oh and I put a waypoint in my gps where my boots were..... :)
@Dave If I had to do it here (go bare foot) where I live I would too! In the goat country around here we have tiger pear which is horrible stuff! Luckily there were no burrs or thistles in this spot :)

· Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Ben,
I think I may have stumbled on the holy grail :) These goats haven't been hunted for years and the genetic potential is obvious!
I was talking to a mate from out that way and he had no idea that they were even about.

And stinkies is a good name for them, my goodness! This bloke reaked to high heaven. My wife and kids wouldn't come near me!! :)

· Super Moderator
8,231 Posts
that looks like the spanish goats we used to hunt on catalina island. thats a great billy! thanks for posting. some how thorns just go with goats! one time when i was on catalina with a group that included a writer for a magazine we would all pull spines out of our legs while we were taking a shower. i was in a stall next to the writer and we were both pulling spines and talking. suddenly he got quiet. i said his name a couple of times, no response. looked over the wall and found he had fainted. he had a pile of 2+ inch spines on the bench.
never ragged him about that!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.