Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe I saw a thread about this here? I can’t seem to locate it so I will ask the question agian cause I seem to be having issues. I want to learn 3under using a tab but when I switch from my glove to my Black Widow tab my arrows go left, I am right handed, which shows to high spine. I tried a deeper “hook” but then have issues getting off the string. Am I doomed? I am open to suggestions.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Random 2¢ thoughts:
1.) Brand new to the tab? Keep trying/experimenting.
2.) Tab has not been trimmed thus string rolls off
excess material farther to the left, mimicking a pluck.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I don't believe one would correctly write "Does a finger tab effect the impact of arrows?"
because generally, a finger tab by itself does not bring about the impact of arrows.
Thus in this case, 'affect' (to influence, or change) would be more appropriate:
"Does a finger tab affect the impact of arrows?"

One could even use the modern albeit horrid term 'impact' as a sloppy
lazy substitute for affect/effect, thus they would write
"Does a finger tab impact the impact of arrows?"
(whilst all the while, rolling in his grave, Shakespeare
tears out hairs, throws up skeleton hands in disgust.:))

·
Super Moderator
2,751 Posts
I don't believe one would correctly write "Does a finger tab effect the impact of arrows?"
because generally, a finger tab by itself does not bring about the impact of arrows.
Thus in this case, 'affect' (to influence, or change) would be more appropriate:
"Does a finger tab affect the impact of arrows?"

One could even use the modern albeit horrid term 'impact' as a sloppy
lazy substitute for affect/effect, thus they would write
"Does a finger tab impact the impact of arrows?"
(whilst all the while, rolling in his grave, Shakespeare
tears out hairs, throws up skeleton hands in disgust.:))
CD:
This is arrant pedantry, up with which I will not put! - Winston Churchill

·
Super Moderator
2,751 Posts
Now, back to the original post - this is normal. Switching from split fingers to 3 under will commonly move impact to the left. How much depends upon individual anatomy and the nature of your tab. I keep about 8 kinds of tabs on hand for tuning various rigs.

But you may need to increase point weight by two or three steps or get more flexible shafts. So, basically you most likely will need to completely retune.

Keep the old stuff; if is fairly easy to train your subconscious mind to switch back and forth. And the brain knows more than the mind does. As Rednef says "Don't believe everything you think. - lbg

Reactions: Tom M

·
Premium Member
2,274 Posts
For the zillionth time over what seems to be a zillion years, I would suggest an out of spine arrow will fly down the middle--bare shafts, not so much. Most of us can’t shoot well enough to identify a weak/stiff arrow at the distances most of us shoot—bare shafts, yes.

Arrows flying right/left usually indicates a form, alignment issue. In your case it's most likely due to an equipment change.

... and btw: "Affect and effect are easy to mix up. Here's the short version of how to use affect vs. effect. Affect is usually a verb, and it means to impact or change. Effect is usually a noun, an effect is the result of a change." :)

The key word here being "usually". In American English they "appear" to be interchangeable.

·
Registered
479 Posts
This is common and first you need to keep shooting the tab till it breaks in. The thickness of the tab puts the string in a slightly different place when it feels like your anchor is the same place. We bare bow shooters usually use our finger placement to our face as our anchor but since the string is now further from your face due to extra material you are shooting left. try changing your string blur first, then change your plunger setting if you shoot a plunger then try arrow spine adjustments by adding point weight in 25gr increments. Just this week i got my gf shooting again, she was shooting right and grouping so i walked upstairs where i work and grabbed her a yost tab and when she shot it her arrows were right down the middle with a thicker tab. There are many ways to skin a cat

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
Shouldn't be able to see a difference with fletched arrows unless nock point was borderline too low before.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I am going to get a second pair of eyes to see how much tab needs to be trimmed while drawing the bow. I do have a stock of different field points to try as well as a few different brands of arrows. I will probably invest in a Yost tab as well. I see the advantage of the metal plate over the stiff leather of the BW 3under tab. I have one of those AAE tabs as well. May try that for 3under.

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Now, back to the original post - this is normal. Switching from split fingers to 3 under will commonly move impact to the left. How much depends upon individual anatomy and the nature of your tab. I keep about 8 kinds of tabs on hand for tuning various rigs.

But you may need to increase point weight by two or three steps or get more flexible shafts. So, basically you most likely will need to completely retune.

Keep the old stuff; if is fairly easy to train your subconscious mind to switch back and forth. And the brain knows more than the mind does. As Rednef says "Don't believe everything you think. - lbg
Longbowguy aleays gets it right

·
neotoxo54
17 Posts
Here is a picture of two home-made tabs I use. Both are cordovan leather. The black one is single layer and well broken in BUT I was having trouble with string torgue. The brown one I am using now has a stiffener strip added. The strip serves to lessen string torgue considerably AND also serves to ensure I get the same deep-hook placement which gives a more consistent anchor. I have store-bought tabs but these DIY tabs. are what work best for me. As you can see they appear quite short but when engaged they barely cover the pads of my fingers giving adequate protection without any excess to interfere with my release.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts