Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my ring finger is building a little callus and is a little sore. what am i doing wrong? I use an american leather glove with a 44 lb bow

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Hey Rusty,

My guess is just not enough padding. I don't think there is a need for sore fingers. Do you have leather to glue on the outside of the finger pads? Happy to send some small pieces of cordovan.

Rasyad

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
One other thought would be your grip on the string. Show us a picture of your glove on the string with a little pressure on it. Last, how long is your bow and draw?

Rasyad

·
Registered
116 Posts
You shouldn't try to create equal pressure across the three fingers. Your ring finger should only really have about 10% of the holding weight. I try to "bias" my string grip by starting to pull with middle finger only, then add pressure on index, and finally ring finger just to help stabilize the hand without applying pressure. Stopped my ring finger from hurting.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Relax the hand an let the string pressure draw it into an inward facing arch.

I'm sure that the more relaxed the back of my hand is, the cleaner the release and the less callousing I get.

In fact,, I only get one little spot on one finger since I drilled in the relaxed hand thing.

Strange or what ? 8^)

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
You're torqueing the string. Make a string bow and prove it to your self.

My opinion is you should be using a tab. Much cleaner release.

Bowmania

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
My two cents worth is to "hook on" the string consistently each repetition. As you come to full draw take note of the distribution of weight (and hook) should be conducive to a straight rearward pulling opposite of the arrow… Whatever that, in terms of distribution is, I'd go with it…. As for the callous, Matt P's advice is good. I'd add a little hand lotion now n then won't hurt either. All the best.

Tom

·
Registered
86 Posts
My money is also on torque which for too long I put off on pressure which torque also creates. Once I got that figured out it was a whole lot easier resolving the issue.
Drawing only with bare finger helped me figure out what to do to alleviate it.

You're torqueing the string. Make a string bow and prove it to your self.

My opinion is you should be using a tab. Much cleaner release.

Bowmania

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
You shouldn't try to create equal pressure across the three fingers. Your ring finger should only really have about 10% of the holding weight. I try to "bias" my string grip by starting to pull with middle finger only, then add pressure on index, and finally ring finger just to help stabilize the hand without applying pressure. Stopped my ring finger from hurting.
I go with this..

Also, make sure that both your thumb and little finger are hanging relaxed.

If not, you are putting undue tension on your forearm muscles, resulting in a lkess than smooth release.

Post a phot, if you can.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts