Trad Talk Forums banner

Final Review & Tune Of My Bear Super Kodiak...

7K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Jon Lewis 
#1 ·
Well folks?..i've already owned this bow for a month now..unfortunately?..i shot the dickens out of it the first week or two to the point that i was ripping up my right shoulder a bit..so i backed off..hence why i haven't been posting much of late...think i've shot maybe 4 or 5 short sessions (mostly tuning related) in the past two weeks and i hafta admit..it sure was strange sitting next to wifey watching TV while the sun was still up but i spent much of it tinkering with and building arrows for this bow..and the ones it seems to love most?...

"The Arrows": Are .600 spine full length (30 1/2") Beman MFX Classics with 5" full helix round back trueflight feathers doning 125gr points...which paint, glue nocks and all?..makes for a 415gr arrow as the shafts are heavy at 8.0gpi..this leaves me shooting 10.9GPP...and i've tried lighter arrow combos but it seems the limbs of the SuperK like to be ladened down with some weight..

*and i think you'll see why in a moment..(massive riser/short snappy limbs)

"The String": Remains the original oem string which consists of 16strands of D97 which seems extremely well made with very tight center serving and flem braids hard as a rock to which i applied yarn wraps and cat-whiskers and am using two nocking points..a brass crimp-on up top and a tie-on below..and seemed "fully shot-in" at well under 100 shots.

"The Bow Specs":

Poundage: Is marked as being 64"/35#@28"...it scales 37 1/4#s @ 28" and i'm holding right at 38# at my 28 1/2" Draw Length. Note: Bear rounds their bows off to the nearest 5# increment on a (-2#/+3#) Basis.

Brace Heigth: Factory Recomended BH for this 64" Super Kodiak is (8"-9")...i shot this bow at all possible variations within that span in 1/4" increments..and for some reason?..it and i like 8 1/4" BH best..so it remains set at 8 1/4"s.

Nock Heigth: Bottom of upper string nock is set at 7/16ths above the shelf..shooting 3under with a Jenkins Tab.

Now?....The Review...

"The Riser"The multi-piece bubinga riser of this 64"er is impressively massive...it literally feels like i'm holding a 2 foot length of 2X4 Bubinga with an extrodinarily well sculpted grip that seems to keep the bow remarkably stable throughout the draw..matter fact?..Bear Archery actually states in their AD/Lit that the 64" SuperK IS simply a 60" SuperK..."with a longer riser"..and they aren't kidding..as it almost appears that the riser dwarfs the limbs?..so i measured it..and from fade to fade?..it's a whopping 26" long bubinga riser..

which to me sort of explains why that..

"At-The-Shot": This bow is amazingly well mannored (assuming proper state of tune with somewhat heavier arrows) and with no leash or loop?...using a completely open handed loose grip?..it just sits there..as the top limb gently rolls back after the arrows left the shelf....meanwhile?...

"The Limbs": Seem short and snappy..as they are..and measure a scant 18"s from the fades to the string nocks..

Together?...strung and braced at 8 1/4"s?..the overall measurement of this 64" bow is 62"s even as measured from end of limb tip too end of limb tip.

"The State Of Tune": Like i said earlier...i haven't been shooting much lately..but the shoulder now feels well healed and after a couple warm up groups at 10yds?..i was feeling all strong and puffy..weilding this 38#er like a healthy baby with a rattle..and utter physical confidence..which challenged me to attacking my mental game a bit this evening...so i began my walk-back drills..first 10yds...then 12...then 15..and holding baseball sized groups of 3 fletched 2 bare (quite a few groups straight) and going through my shot sequence like clockwork..enter "mental confidence with a well tuned sweetheart of a bow"...and moved back to 18yds..for the first time in quite awhile..that white pvc stake in the ground is my 20yd mark..

and nailed this for my first group at 18yds this evening..

I thought it "camera worthy"...and words can't express how great it felt to have complete and utter control over every aspect of the shot each and every time...with my tabbed fingers snapping off the string cleaner than chlorox..proving to me..

"it's not where they landed...it's how they got there"

that counts.

If you don't have an extra grand laying around for a top shelfer or a custom?..i highly recomend the Bear Super Kodiak..(for about 1/2 that)..and I think Old Fred knew what he was doing when he melded a target style riser to his fav hunting bow back when...it's a winning combo. ;)

Hope you all enjoyed...happy shooting and L8R, Bill. :)

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.