Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not so straight forward and just a guesstimate, 26" Vanquish riser wound in 3 turns on the bolts, 43# Hex6's at 26.25" on the button showing 44#, problem is I don't have decent set of scales (just cheap fishing scales) seems from my Longbows it appears to be consistently showing around 2# less as marked on the scales and as I'm drawing 1" shorter I'm guessing I'm holding around 43 to 44# at anchor :sbrug:

29" 500 Lightspeed 350g, 3" feathers, 125g point gives me 60y point on (ideal for IFAA 3D), bareshaft showing slightly stiff but I don't want to increase point weight or poundage as one more turn on the bolts puts me out of my Form comfort zone, at this current setting I'm drilling the 10 ring out to 40y one more turn on the bolts and I start to see a more Form mistakes. I've got some 29" 550 Carbon1's with 120g points on order and I hope these tune a little better.

Today I figured out 70 and 80 yards using riser shelf, felt good to keep them in the score zone at these distances.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Maybe dont get hung up on exact weight otf if you are shooting well and the tune is acceptable? And are comfortable drawing and holding it through the day.

Otherwise those cheap digital luggage scales designed to ensure you dont go over your airline travel allowance might do the trick and are probably reasonably accurate.

You could calibrate/check them yourself with a known weight.

Alternatively maybe hang 40lbs/18Kg of weight from your string and see if that gets you close to your draw length? Got any dumbbells kicking about?

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,516 Posts
A refined form can be affected by a change in weight. I find that there is a point where I have difficulty expanding and releasing with my back muscles and my form erodes. As far as measurement, it is relative. I set a draw length for my measurement and measure changes against that. It may not be my exact draw length but it does allow me to measure differences. I have very good scales and can measure very accurately. The question is the accuracy and precision of your fishing scales, the effectiveness of your measuring process (are you getting everything out of your scale), all relative to the weight difference that is meaningful to your form issue. If one pound is critical to your shot, then you need one pound accuracy. You need to look at your measuring process and scale. Bathroom scales are an option also. A simple draw board could help, even with the fishing scale.

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Steve, would you mind elaborating on that? I mean, how does loosening or tightening the limb bolts affect your form?
A couple of things, the draw weight increases and limb angle as you turn the bolts in, I may just be on a sweet shooting spot and going past that then Form mistakes show up more, at my current setting I feel a more balanced hold at full draw and I can settle into my aim easier and if needed hold on aim for as long as required. Also Field rounds are 112 arrows so you have to find a weight you feel comfy with for the whole 112 arrow round.

I recently had a virus that knocked me off my feet and wound the bow to min bolt setting for last few weeks, I'm still not 100% but I am able to hold more weight now, maybe that one extra turn was too much.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts