Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to take another serious look at 3 under. It was 59 and sunny so I slipped home a little early and shot 30 or 40 arrows, using a new anchor and 3 under.

I have always anchored with a finger the corner of my smile because - well, just because ...

After watching Rod Jenkins shoot and after listening to Oz and Limbwalker and so many others of you I have determined to seek a more stable anchor, farther back.

Today I just snugged my index knuckle (the one you'd punch somebody with, if'n they needed it) under the backside of my cheekbone in a way that felt comfortable and repeatable. This raised the arrow pretty signifigantly, closer to my eye. I don't specifically gap off the arrow at twenty yards, but I have a pretty good idea of where the tip is, relative to the target. Deep in the grass, usually.

I went to my new anchor with 3 under and shot my usual sight picture at twenty. The first shot buried in the grass almost 2/3's of the way to the target. I found it hard to believe that the inch or so I'd moved closer to my eye made such a difference but it did. I slowly walked my next 4 shots up into the kill zone. My gap seems almost halved, and now actually useable (at the close range of twenty yards). Maybe tomorrow I'll find out where my point on is, using this anchor and shooting 3 under.

I played with my release some, as well. With so many variables changing at once, and surrounded by eager young shooters waiting for a tackle football game, it was hard to make scientific headway in 30 or 40 arrows.

But I believe I will work at this some more. I was very intrigued by Rod's explanation of gap and of his release in the MBB video.

It's fun to have so much to learn/work on, and such a tool as this new DAS to learn on.

·
Registered
9,662 Posts
I sorted out a few wood arrows, opened the nocks up a bit and nocked above, instead of below my nocking point on the Widow PLX.....Considerable improvement.....Might even shoot in the rain tomorrow, stand on the front porch and send the wife to "fetch";)..I really am beginning to like the light slenderness of this longbow...Thanks for the tip on the high nock point Bill.....How high is your nock point Mike?.....

G

·
As a split guy who's messed around with 3 under a few times, I'm very interested to see if you will make the transition...are you using a double nock point? That helped me quite a bit when I was trying it...

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I set this bow up with a fat 3/8" high nock, or a skinny 1/2", however you want to look at it.

All I did was roll some surgical tape onto the serving as a place holder while I play around. Thought I'd tie off over and under floss nocks when I pin it down. So I am now nocking under the tape I put on the riser.

·
Registered
9,662 Posts
I'm at 5/8 now and something seemed to click this afternoon....Kinda anxious to shoot a 300 tomorrow.....

G

·
I keep trying 3 under but always revert back to split. I use the high anchor that Mike Fedora taught me so my gap is pretty usable.

I had the arduous task of taking my good friend to see the Fedoras this morning. He needed to find a place to unload some of his Christmas bonus.
He did not want a longbow or a takedown. After much shooting and talking guess what he fell in love with? An Xtreme 3 piece take down long bow!!
These things are real shooters. What a sweet bow.

My friend runs a machine shop and has some pretty extensive experience. This lead to some very interesting conversations with Mike and Jason about the possibilities of a metal riser Fedora bow. Not that it would be the first. I played around with a metal risered recurve Mike made many moons ago. 1 of only 6. I'd love to know where the other 5 are!

Jason is extremely interested in developing some limbs for the DAS. (he checked mine out today and seemed fairly impressed) He has some ILF type limbs that are probably 85% done and looking for a home. There may be some DAS limbs coming out of that shop in the future.

We did some 3d shooting this afternoon. I love this DAS. I need to do some tweaking and tuning but even in it's current state I was hammering the targets.

Sorry to hijack your thread my friend. I'll shut up now!

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There's no hijacking one of my threads. Every thread is a conversation as far as I'm concerned and it can take on a life of it's own and go where it will! No worries.

Sounds like an interesting day!

G

·
Talking bows with the Fedoras is always interesting!! The technical proficiency they have always amazes me.

I have these 2 Liberty longbows here at the house to test out. They are very nicely crafted bows but seem "primitive" when handled next to a Fedora. (or a PAW for that matter) The complexity and thoughtfulness of Fedora's laminations just boggle the mind. The way they bend, where they bend, everything is precisely controlled. Then to have that complexity, coupled with a buttery smooth draw, stability and durability, it just blows me away.

Jason described his torture test for the Xtreme before he released it. He "strung" it with a steel cable then dry fired 40-50 times. No damage other than some wear around the tips.

G

·
Rod's gap system is the bomb isn't it? You need to be able to accurately judge your distances and as long as you can do that, you can be really precise!

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I want to play around with it. It has an air of simplicity that makes me want to say, why didn't I figure that out (like lots of good ideas).

Bowcephalus,

Are you 3 under?

Mike

·
Premium Member
2,287 Posts
Hey, it aint my gap system.....just the one I use!:) I suspect its been around for a loong time. I can remember some of the old guys explaining the system back when I was a kid..and that been a while! Some of the older men in my area,used several different aiming methods ...although I can't recall any burning a hole ???

I've switched to split for a few tournaments that require split and shoot split when shooting sights....but always can't wait to get back to 3 under!

Jaeger...estimating yardage is like anything else...just takes practice! and I'll often take a walk with a rangefinder, to do just that. Back when we had a weekly 3d get together at home...we kept score and ranged the yardage after we shot a target, then deducted one point for every yard you missed the yardage....sure got you interested in know exactly how far a target was...if you didnt want to take a real beating...lol

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I estimate steps instead of yards. My normal walking stride is almost exactly a yard. Twenty steps is twenty yards on my laser rangefinder. But seventy steps is slightly over 70 yards. But I like to go by what I walk every day. It makes quick decisions easier because it eliminates the conversion process.

As I walk around throughout my day I pick an object I'm approaching and make an instant mental call regarding the yardage and then step it off as I walk toward it. You can do this in the store, on the street, or anywhere.

BTW, Rod. I know you're right. But I probably won't be able to help thinking of it as Rod's system. :)

Just a question of where I learned it. Wil you be in Louisville this March?

Mike

·
Registered
9,662 Posts
Mike, I'm back to split right now....once this longbow/wood arrow thing settles in a bit I will probably try three under again....I was getting a bit of noise with three under and the XX75s on theTFX.....I think I saw you steppin' through Wal-Mart last night,pushing shopping carts aside, and yes I'm the one who blew my horn at you stepping off the parking lot..........;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts