Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Plz hear me out - my shoulders are eat up with arthritis. I have to get shots every 3 months or so. I'd like to get in one more season with a bow prior to joining the x-bow dark side. I am shooting a 40 (or so) lb 58" recurve and was wondering if the same weight LB limbs would be somewhat easier to draw. I'm trying, as much as I can, to draw with my back, but the pain hits about mid-draw. I'm looking for an out. I've thought about dropping weight, but I don't want my BH to bounce off the shoulder of 'that big ole' whatever. Any of ya'll got any experience with this (and some results)? I've never shot a longbow, so have no reference point to go on. Thanks in advance,
GLH

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Hi Gary,

Some additional information would be helpful. What is your draw length, and how do you anchor? Of course your doctor will be the most important source of information. That said we have a lot of members with bum shoulders, pre and post surgery, and just plain worn out. A longer longbow would definately help with the first part of the draw. Have you had folks look at your form? With my own shoulder injury I changed how I draw and for sure shoot fewer arrows. Sometimes only 6 good shots.

Rasyad

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have shot long bows , D ,and R/D most of my life . I have medical problems and am struggling with even light weight . I have gone from 65-75# down to 40-50# . I have just started to shoot some static tip recurves . I find them better for me . A lot of the weight is in the first part of the draw . They draw onley 1- 1.5 # a inch in the back part of the draw . I shoot my R/D longbows some so I keep that felling of lighter hold weight . I don't know if it will work for you . I have a RER Arroyo at 48# and have a used ILF recurve coming . Good luck . Rick

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really appreciate you guys' inputs. I have a Tradtech 15" riser and medium limbs for a 58" bow (40# limbs @28" - I pull 28"). They (LAS) sell R/D LB limbs that would make my bowlength 60". I don't intend on putting any more money into my rig until I find out how long I can shoot. The limbs look good in the pix and I can upgrade to them and a new string for under $200. And, if I can sell my recurve limbs then I'll be out less. This is what I'm thinking about doing. If you can think of any other ways to get by the please let me know.
All the best,
GLH

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
My draw length is a little longer than yours but from a smooth draw standpoint I'd look at both a longer riser and longer limbs. I have some nagging shoulder/elbow issues that seemed to be aggravated by my extended shooting sessions. Then I stumbled onto a ridiculously smooth combination...a 21" Black Bear Warf and a set of 43# extra-long Morrison longbow limbs. It yields a 68" bow and it's made all the difference in the world in feel. No shock, no stack, and I can pretty much shoot all day with this rig....

·
Registered
607 Posts
My shoulders are in ridiculous shape but I plan on shooting until I am dead. My target rig is about 32lbs and I do 95% of my shooting with that. I am going to hunt with 45-46lb limbs this year a bump up from the 40lb limbs I used last year. I have owned both recurve and longbow limbs and the guys are 100% right, you will feel the weight much less with longer bow at your 28in. draw at least 62-64 with longbow and 60-62 with recurve. You will feel the weight through the entire shot with longbow limbs and with a static tip recurve like Dryad, Border, and Morrison Max1-2 they almost feel like you have a let-off when you get a longer bow but not enough to make a big difference in feel. The difference will show up in performance and I will not start a long debate about that but I killed the two deer I shot with my 40lb Max1 recurve limbs last year and would not have a problem if that was all I could handle with confidence.

·
Pete
5,610 Posts
I have gone longer, for similar reasons, 68" for 30" draw, after trying many recurve and r/d longbow limbs I got the most user friendly feel from s/f elite+ longs on a 23" riser. I found some limbs gave great performance but recoiled and some were just hard work.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Another option is a string follow longbow. They always felt easier to pull for me
jd berry and eaglewing archery makes some good ones. You can find a used Berry once in awhile. Eaglewing makes one called "the frontier". It's 66". You can get it with carbon to get a little more engery out of them.

·
Super Moderator
2,771 Posts
I agree that longer bows are smoother than shorter ones. Recurves are generally more efficient than longbows. So if legal in your state I would consider long 35# recurve limbs. I have no doubt that they are sufficient to cleanly take eastern deer or bear, pigs angling away, and that might buy you several more seasons. - lbg

Reactions: garyleehughes

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
I am sure all shoulder/ neck issues are different. Mine is in the first 9" of draw. The draw force curve of the recurve limbs did not fit my issues. on the other band the longbow force draw curve was perfect. I found that the longbow limbs string walk from a bunting anchor perfectly and are quieter than most recurve limbs.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hey garylee, I've got some bum shoulders, too. I think you are on the right track with your Titan riser--I found that an increase in the physical weight of my riser to be a huge help. I love my Hill bows, but I just can't shoot them comfortably, anymore. That "little thump", when I drop the string, has become painful.

I am shooting a Pittsley Predator Hunter, at the moment, and loving life. The futurewood riser has mass, especially with a bow quiver bolted to it. I am currently in the process of building up a "lifetime supply" of tapered POC shafts that fly well out of this puppy. On the eve of my, "golden years", I think I am going to stick with this simple, highly efficient, bolt down format, for the "duration".

I played with ILF for awhile, but it didn't "take". I've got two pairs of long, trad tech, longbow limbs, (wood and glass), that are 40# and 50# on a 64" bow. They aren't new, but I believe they are more than sound. PM me your mailing address and I will send them to you. If you don't like 'em, pass 'em along. I have no future need of them. At my current draw weight of 45# at 26+" of draw, I think I prefer a recurve.

Don't quit, brother, we ain't done, yet! Bob Wilson

·
Premium Member
12,806 Posts
Nice Bob WIlson, thanks for stepping up.
My longbow limbs are heavier than he needs, else I would send to him as a loan, to see if he likes them.
I'm glad you've found a system that works for you, too.

Reactions: garyleehughes

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't know what to say, except I'm awed at such gracious offers. I'll surely give them a try and keep ya'll apprised at how it goes. Man...thanks!!! This is too much. I'd get up and run around the yard but it's raining lol.
God Bless you both.
GLH

I adopted this verse a while ago: ACTA NON VERBA. It surely applies here.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yo, garylee! I got your PM. Armed with your address, I think I can get these bad boys in the mail before the end of the week. Don't go runnin' around in the rain! Wouldn't want you to catch a chill.... I just hope they work for ya. I'll shoot you a PM when they have left the desert! (We sure could use a little of that rain, if you have any to spare.)

Be well.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
LOL, I spent a great part of my life in the tropics (PI, VN(3 tours), PN, Liberia, Diego Garcia, Taiwan (semi-tropical). Lots of rain during those years. These last 3 weeks seemed like 'rainy season' in the tropics; just not the huge amounts and not 90+ degrees. However, I did spend 15 months in Afghanistan and Iraq (09-10) working on the counter-IED program. I got to enjoy your type of weather. I think I'll stick to the rain. 110+ degrees is only good in a sauna.
Thanks,
Gary

1 - 20 of 33 Posts