TradTalk Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use a Bohning fletching jig and do okay adding or replacing 4" feathers on carbons. Also, I have bought cheap carbons at Walmart, stripped the vanes and added 4" feathers, which shoot great for practice. These are all 31", marked 350 spine. I mostly use 400 or 500 Gold Tip.
Question. My jig is set up for straight, no twist, fletching. I have read that spiral fletching does not help stability (as a bullet) because velocity is just not high enough. YOUR OPINIONS, PLEASE
For a right hand shooter, are right wing feathers best, or does it matter?
THANK YOU, EXPERTS!

·
straight arrow
597 Posts
Typically right hand shooters use right wing feathers lefties, left wing. But some folks will say it doesn't matter, left or right wing, as long as you don't mix them. I'm a righty and have always used right wing feathers.

Feathers have their own 'twist' so you get stabilization even with 'straight' fletched feathers. With a proper tune straight fletched feathers can work just fine. You may want to 'offset' the feathers, that is, add a 1-2 degree angle to the alignment of the feathers.

A question back to you - why you are using such a range of spines?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
It’s up to you. I use left wing and am right handed. Years ago right wing was hard to find. The growers used to clip the right wing so bird won’t fly away. These days birds are raised in cages. One reason feather quality is not as good. So I bought left wing jigs. But I have clamps for right as well. I switched from right to left when I had an ASL bow. Lead edge of feather clipped my hand. I buy feathers in quantity and if I see them on sale I buy no matter what wing. Theses days a dozen barred feathers cost as much as a dozen fully dipped fletched, with points installed wood arrows cost me back in the 70’s.

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,461 Posts
I think 4 inches on carbon is more of a problem than right or left. That is putting the breaks on the arrow. I use 2 1/2 inch feathers. That is all you need. I am left handed and shoot right wing feathers, because that is what I can easily get. And when you are left handed it is a benefit to be able to use something that caters to more than 7% of the population.

Reactions: regas

·
Trad is for stumpin
175 Posts
I run 4" left wing feathers on GT carbon arrows (normal carbon diameters not the skinny's) and shoot right handed. Use Bitzenberger left wing helical clamp adjusted to allow quill to make full contact with shaft, not a specified degree of offset. I buy full length feathers and use a chopper to make into 4" parabolic shape, usually can get two from one full length feather.

·
Registered
294 Posts
You're correct, arrows are not stabilized the same as bullets. The rapid spin of a bullet turns them into little gyroscopes, which keeps them from tumbling.

The arrow is stabilized by the drag of the fletching keeping the pointy end forward. Hank is right, it doesn't take a lot of fletch to keep a well tuned arrow flying "down stream". As a matter of fact it's a great help to have small fletch if you find yourself shooting in much cross wind.

If your rig is tuned quite well, no fletch is needed at all, and just to prove my point to some friends years back I shot a number of 3d shoots with unfletched wood arrows. Did quite well, and didn't loose any either. LOL

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm not going to argue feather size. I dropped from a 5" to 4" myself and plan to experiment between straight and helical some more. From my reading, straight should be faster long range. If the shooter can be consistent with release and aim, straight may have a gap advantage.
My suggestion is find one arrow, (brand, spine and length) that works best and stick with it. I had tried having a mix of arrows(brand wise) in my quiver. One day I got all of my arrows out, shot every one at one spot, 20 steps. Each brand grouped separate from the other brands. I picked one brand, only shot that one and improved my shooting.

·
Registered
134 Posts
In my experience, straight fletch will not stabilize well. Off-set at least, and preferably helical will do a much better job.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
I think 4 inches on carbon is more of a problem than right or left. That is putting the breaks on the arrow. I use 2 1/2 inch feathers. That is all you need.
Hank, if you shoot 'formal' 3-D the organization rules dictate minimum fletch length for Traditional classes. IBO requires 3 x 4" fletches.

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,461 Posts
You always have to be aware of the rules if you are competing with gear. I shoot WA barebow, NFAA barebow and IBM RU which does not have that requirement. The wood arrows I use when competing in longbow have five inch feathers because that is how they came when I had them made. We had a great IBO tournament out here for awhile but lost it. I know that we were having venue issues at the end. I hope it returns.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts