Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm searching for the best wood arrow configuration for NFAA Longbow Field.

I've never played around with different feather lengths until now but there is a HUGE difference in the way a 5.5 inch feather flies at 60 yards vs a 4 inch feather.

Assuming you have a wood shaft correctly spined to your bow, what feather would you put on it? 3 inch with a helical, 4 inch with a helical, or 4 inch straight?

I'm looking for the combo that will be forgiving enough for wood arrows and give me the least amount of drag.

I want to try 3 inch feathers but I don't have any experience with them and I'm not sure it's enough feather for a longbow and wood arrows.

400 is my goal. It's not impossible and I won't give up until I get there. I just don't want too much feather dragging me down along the way.

·
Registered
9,428 Posts
We used to shoot wood arrows out of Flatbows at long range 3Ds in the UK. Most of the good shooters use 4" parabolic with a helical twist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Been shooting 3" on woodies for longbow for years. Taken the CA State Field championship several times, and the NFAA Marked 3D (which longbow shoots from the full Adult stakes) 3 years running. Even broke Larry Yiens record. All with 3"

Going to be straight up honest here though and if that makes me the bad guy so be it.

I think 3" is "adequate". But IF and only IF the bow, the state of tune, the quality and matching off the arrows, and most importantly if YOU the shooter is adequate to the task.

If you have any uncertainty, (I sure did at first) then I would recommend that you start with a 4". You're certainly gaining over a 5 1/2" as you've already noticed. (Heck that's basically a Flu-Flu!) Then also build yourself a set with 3" built as tight and well matched and tuned as you can make them, and practice shooting with them, and see how you do before you commit.

You know if you have a feather burner, with a little care and skill, you can turn a woody with a long 4"-5" fletch into a 3" fletch.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I used 3" parabolics and would use 2-2.5 today with no hesitasion.
That's on a tappered shaft.
10" tapper,red barred feathers and a ruby red nock.

Shinny Brass points also help.8^)
John.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Hammer,
Im playin around with some 3" right wing on carbons out of my curve and they fly great. I have a few extra and could send you enough for a couple arrows if ya wanted to make them up and try them out. But just a head up there pink.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Rednef. I think I'll stick with 4" for now. I'm going to get some test arrows with 3" though and see if I can make it work.

Calvin keeps telling me to try them. I'm tired of hearing it, the only thing I want to know from him is where he gets those 11 ring magnets for the end of his arrows lol. He's not budging..

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sgrella - That's a very generous offer. I already have some on the way but I do appreciate the thought.

·
Registered
87 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts