Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have only used True-Flight and Gateway feathers. I have found True-Flight to be superior in both feather quality and in quill/base finishing.

But there still AMG out there, and now Bearpaw feather fletching. So I'm curious, how do those two stack up against True-Flight quality?

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
I'm using some feathers by true flight I got off ebay. Not sure if they are real old or what, but seem to open easy. By that I mean split from each other and then chunk out. I'm using a new tube of platinum glue on aluminum shafts and just had one peel off like the glue was brittle and didn't stick at all.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I'm not sure about the ones you mentioned, I always buy True Flight if I want white or dyed feathers. The best quality feathers I find are from Custom Feathers, real natural gray-barred turkey feathers. Not cheap though.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I have used the AMG feathers and they are ok. I noticed that some of the quills may be thicker than others but I do not have any issues putting them on shafts. I use the Jo-jan multi-fletcher with helical clamps.
The only time I get real fussy about feathers is when I splice them. Then I like them all to be uniform. I do buy in bulk so I can pick and choose.

·
Registered
6,439 Posts
I'm using some feathers by true flight I got off ebay. Not sure if they are real old or what, but seem to open easy. By that I mean split from each other and then chunk out. I'm using a new tube of platinum glue on aluminum shafts and just had one peel off like the glue was brittle and didn't stick at all.
Kenn....now I can help you...dispose of your new tube of fletch-tite platinum glue...there's a rumor I heard that it's recently been "re-formulated"....and I'm fairly certain the rumor is true because my old FTP?...stuck like...well?...glue...the new stuff I bought?...is about one rung above spit...not to mention that it seemed to have some chemically reactive traits (the old stuff didn't have) when applied to my spray bomb crested shafts...everything from bubbling the paint to this grotesque nicotine brown coloration it took on after drying...just flat out nasty...pretty much does everything bad that you wouldn't want it to do and the one thing you do want it to do?...it fails miserably at.

"Easton Quick Bond"...dries clear....sticks anything to anything (in seconds) without ruining anything and I've yet to have a fletching come off with the stuff....so toss the FTP...imho?...it's not worth the tube it comes in.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First there was Fletch-Tite, then Fletch-Tite Platinum, then reformulated Fletch-Tite Platinum, which totally sucks as Jinx mentioned. I just recently heard that the reformulated Fletch-Tite Platinum has been reformulated yet AGAIN. But I have yet to hear if its any better.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
+1 on the Easton quick bond...been using it for 3 yrs or more and the stuff does not just "let go". You might shoot a fletch off, but the quill will still be right where you glued it.

·
Registered
6,439 Posts
I have a word about fletching tape...and despite the many who love it?...my experience with it is this....I've watched the youtube vids on those who feel they've perfected the application process of such tape...albeit mine never went quite that well...and I'm certain my short, fat stubby fumble fingers self didn't help matters....but that said?...even if I was twice as fast and neat as the fastest, neatest and most proficient youtub fletch tape master out there?....Easton Quick Bond is faster...like twice as fast...even with short, fat stubby fumble fingers. :lol:

But here's what the real deciding factor was for me regarding NOT using the stuff....yes...it works great....right up until about June, July and August....then?...here in the heat of south Florida summers?...it's not hard to spot who's using it...especially between the hours of 1:00pm and 4:00pm...I shot with a group of 3 other trad archers who were using the stuff one august afternoon...when I got tired of saying...

"Hey...ya got a feather curling off the back."

some I didn't have to see as I was pulling after the score...I could hear them ruffling through the shot...so I stopped telling them when I realized they were no longer to happy to hear about it...but reality is reality...but it might also be noted that when this condition occurred?...it was so hot out I could see heat waves coming up off the ground and the layer of dead pine needles laying there started smelling like roasted peanuts...as brown is not a great color for reflecting heat. :lol:

But I'm sure 80% of the rest of the country is fine however from what I've seen?...I bet archers in Yuma, AZ don't care for it either! :lol:

·
The Mad Scientist
1,492 Posts
The problem with all commercial feathers these days is they come from birds bred to grow meat fast, so their flight feathers are thin. That makes all of them less durable than before. So if you can find old feathers on eBay get them. Or make your own out of wild turkeys. They are noticeably stiffer and more durable.

·
Spearhead
3,347 Posts
I've used tru flight, gateway and bearpaw, don't know about amg?
Gateway and bearpaw are very close in quil and quality with bearpaw a tad better than gateway in quil consistency.

I love tru flight, love the quality, hate the price almost 90$ a hundred for full length barred feathers, bearpaw is slightly cheaper only 5-10$ than tru flight, but the quality isn't even near close or worth it. I'll spend the extra 5-10$ for tru flight.
My last feather purchase has been gateway, at 55$ for 100 bared full length feathers, yeah count me in.

I want a feather company to come out with a natural looking turkey feather.
I would love that and pay the 90$ price happily

Chad

·
Registered
1 Posts
Havent been using it very long but gorilla glue gell with bearpaw is working wonders so far

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Barbarian Tyrant
971 Posts
I have used all three of those and have had the best quality with Tru Flight.
I was at a shop today and noticed Blazer is packaging some 2" Shield made by Gateway and they did not look good. Lots of separation and touted as whisper quiet. I've never had a Shield cut that was quiet.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I spent 35 years shooting in the Florida heat Jinks, hard for me to find any difference between 100 degrees in Daytona and 100 degrees here on the Carolina coast except that it lasts a little longer. I've been using Bohning fletching tape for two years and never had a problem.... as long as I took the same precautions with it that I did with glue...a little dab of Super Glue fore and aft of the finished fletching. More than a few have been pulled through two layers of rubber truck mat that backs up my bale press with no problem. I'm a fan.

I enjoy fletching. I hate fletching with glue. I've used Gateway, including their Rayzrs...wasn't impressed with the uniformity of the quill but they worked very well and held OK. Since I got my first Bitz I've gone through two + batches of 100 TrueFlights...one batch was great, the other appeared to be seconds. The best fletching I've ever used were natural turkey feathers I'd acquired over the years and sent out to stykzz, a LW member who processed my rights and sent them back to me in exchange for my lefts.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Same experience with fletch tape as Jinx. Even with the glue at the ends. I have used it for a quikie test of some different fletch configurations, but would never again use it for a permanent/long term fletching adhesive.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I use True Flight 4" parabolic's on my hunting arrows.
And GateWay 2" Rayzr feathers on my target arrows.
I've also been using gorilla glue gell for a while now and never had a problem with it.

John.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Based on the recommendations above, I bought 100 Tru-Flight feathers and I was very impressed with the quality. I chose 5.5 inch green ones because they are $37.50 per 100, which is a little less than some other color/length options. At that length, I use 2-fletch with no worry, and save a little more money too.

The main things I liked were that the front of the feather is cut perfectly to mate to the shaft with no edge to catch, thus minimizing chance of injury or having the front come unglued. Also, the base of the feather was very smooth.

The smoothness is not critical to me, and one could even argue that a little roughness helps the glue hold better, although my guess is that smooth is better for tape. However, I like the fact that the front is cut perfectly, and don't mind paying a little more for that.

I previously used Sagittarius feathers, which are a very good feather at the great price of $25 per 100. However, I normally have to trim the front of the feather to avoid a snag-point. This is no problem, but I'm not all that good at making a perfect looking trim, unless I really take my time and have a very sharp razor.

Anyway, I can see why the Tru-Flight are getting good reviews and appreciate the advice.

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
I've just fletched up a dozen Spruce shafts with Bearpaw feathers. I have to say they're pretty good. Nice even quill, ground to a nice even thickness and width. The dye on the feather was a deep even colour and the length and shape were all consistant. The one thing I did notice and like, the feathers were very stiff.

·
Registered
9,662 Posts
Never had a feather come loose with the tape. A few odd and end woodies are close to ten years old. Now it might be a problem on a non-cleaned shaft or carbon which I don't shoot, and I can imagine being left in a car in the summer with windows up or some such might create a problem.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts