Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
Precious!!
I couldn't hunt them if they stayed that cute come Fall. That's incredible that the little booger followed you....really neat...probably not a good survival trait...but still neat and interesting!
Thanks for sharing your pleasant squirrel hunting surprise!! :)

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Hopefully mother will not abandon it because of your scent on it.
For years I have heard that the does will not accept them if contaminated by human odor. Hope this is just a rumor.

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
I'll try to brief...not my strong suit :) I always adhered to that rule...but last year a tiny fawn got under a neighbor's garden fence and was bawling most of the day...I kept hearing the noise throughout day...but couldn't locate the exact location...due to the brushy garden offering good concealment...later we learned that its mother couldn't get to it because of another yard fence. My neighbor called me to help after he finally located the deer. His garden was a big brush pile after many years of laying fallow and he'd wired the "gate" shut to keep his grandkids out for protection. We tried and tried to haze that little creature out of his garden while one of us held open the bottom of the fence to allow him under. The fawn kept trying to hide in the brush and our chasing and hazing was stressing him out big time...which was being compounded by the fact that he'd been in there most of the hot day. I finally decided to grab him up because I feared he couldn't take any additional stress in that heat. I took him outside the fence to his mother who was blowing and snorting....she took him back and I saw him at her side through the rest of the year. We have a lot of deer in the area that you kind of begin to recognize after a while. So....at least in that case my scent wasn't an issue. I think vabowdog's little friend will be ok if he'll learn to stay where his mother left him and to quit following people :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I kicked momma and auntie out of the bushes, laying by the creek two minutes before the fawn walked up to me. So the fawn wasn't abandoned and there was a good source of water.
I think the fawn was born last night and just had no clue as to life's dangers. It was still a bit shaky on its feet. On my return trip I saw the doe's tracks and the fawns both together. I guess momma picked up her young'n.
I've heard the notion of not touching baby animal for fear of abandonment. I've never seen it happen. Putting baby birds back, baby squirrels back, baby rabbits back and now a fawn. In my opinion it's just an old wives tale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.