Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
The Mad Scientist
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a loaded question, but I need a set of spare conventional shape recurve ILF limbs to go along with my EBFs. These are for hunting, so I'm not concerned about smoothness or stability, however that's defined. Just pure speed (which relates to KE). Since the field of choice is limited I'm open to pure target limbs too, but it seems some might be limited on draw weight. I've read some good things about SF Ultimate Pros but I think top out at 42# in shorts? I need something that will hit 54-56# on a 17" riser.

And to try and keep the debate down also name the second fastest limb too! Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,891 Posts
Speaking as an old school bowhunter who has been down the high speed lane and back a couple times; speed with-out hitting your target in a lethal area is useless. Speed does't kill, accuracy does.
All speed accomplishes is to flatten trajectory somewhat and there are a lot of tradeoffs to get it. In too may cases it creates excess noise, creating more misses and wounding shots resulting in lost game. Too many guys in pursuit of speed sacrifice a lot of shootability that will make them more efficient hunters
Once you get beyond lethal penetration to vital organs "pass-throughs" waste a lot of the KE on the ground or foliage beyond the deer. The only plus I have seen is maybe a better blood trail. A deer will bleed out just as fast internally as it will with two arrow slots in its hide.

not really intending to rain on your parade, Its just my personal opinion based on my own, and witnessed experience as a bowhunter using advanced tech traditional equipment.
YMMV

·
Premium Member
4,989 Posts
If your looking to wring ever drop of energy out of a bow limb look at a bolt down

In that world and I've played with many and own most the Hex 7 wins hands down

In an ILF limb my bet would be on the new Hex that Border is about to release

·
ryan brodrick
2,137 Posts
You're splitting hairs. Any of the $400+ Limbs are going to be within a coue fps if bolts are optimized for draw length etc. You'll get more speed variation in string variations.

Hunting bow: tune for quiet shot with a skinny string then you won't have to slow it down with big string silencers. Anyway at hunting distances 10fps isn't going to and any difference. You can really get some speed by shooting lighter arrows.

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,700 Posts
Folks on the FITA forum over on AT will probably have better input to this. They use them all. Trad shooters gravitate toward a subset of what is out there. MK Korea makes some pretty hot limbs that you might want to look into. Humdinger is using them now. I have tested one set shot by a JOAD archer and they smoked at over 220 on a FITA setup. This is a really hard question to answer. I think the best that can be done is to identify fast limbs, rather than the fastest. There just is not enough head to head testing data and too many possible configurations.

·
The Mad Scientist
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, speed w/o accuracy is useless, but all the modern recurve limbs that are discussed here are way more accurate than fiberglass, which is still good enough by most standards. I think hunting accuracy is more than sufficient with any quality target limb made. Then you can get into elevated rests vs off the shelf, sights, stabs etc. It’s a slippery slope that accuracy standard. But my goal is max KE not speed for elk and moose with 10 gpp and EFOC. Fact is you can’t get more KE without more speed. And since there is even less data on KE than speed that’s the only criteria we have to go by.

Thanks JP, we all know the Hex 7 are the fastest limb made but the super RCs are not for everyone. I really like my EBFs but want to try something different as a backup, who knows maybe I’ll find out the EBFs have no equal but based on previous discussions on this subject I have to think there is. I’m surprised you didn’t mention Border CVs? I’d love to see them (or any other limbs) compared to EBFs. As Hank said we need to setup a testing protocol!

But I also have another motive, I’m trying to make my arrows a bit weaker which would be possible with a bit more oomph. I’m stuck between arrow sizes for the length/weight/FOC I want. And I’m about as heavy as I want to go with draw weight. My current setup is good, but it can always be better. And besides, I just opened up a spot on my bow rack!

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Arrow speed is a mythical beast being chased by many of us. I have avoided using the chrono on my recurve. Probably best I do not know.
I know I see the difference between a 450 grain arrow and a 540 grain arrow.
Flat trajectory and fast arrows are why I still have the Bowtech for when I get the urge to shoot 30 and beyond.

·
Premium Member
4,989 Posts
Yep, speed w/o accuracy is useless, but all the modern recurve limbs that are discussed here are way more accurate than fiberglass, which is still good enough by most standards. I think hunting accuracy is more than sufficient with any quality target limb made. Then you can get into elevated rests vs off the shelf, sights, stabs etc. It's a slippery slope that accuracy standard. But my goal is max KE not speed for elk and moose with 10 gpp and EFOC. Fact is you can't get more KE without more speed. And since there is even less data on KE than speed that's the only criteria we have to go by.

Thanks JP, we all know the Hex 7 are the fastest limb made but the super RCs are not for everyone. I really like my EBFs but want to try something different as a backup, who knows maybe I'll find out the EBFs have no equal but based on previous discussions on this subject I have to think there is. I'm surprised you didn't mention Border CVs? I'd love to see them (or any other limbs) compared to EBFs. As Hank said we need to setup a testing protocol!

But I also have another motive, I'm trying to make my arrows a bit weaker which would be possible with a bit more oomph. I'm stuck between arrow sizes for the length/weight/FOC I want. And I'm about as heavy as I want to go with draw weight. My current setup is good, but it can always be better. And besides, I just opened up a spot on my bow rack!
Thanks Mat

I have no experience with the CV but I hear good things

In a conventional limb the BFs are bomb proof and really seem to get it done

Good luck in your search I am also always interested in this stuff

·
Registered
820 Posts
I have a couple of pairs of CV-W/H. They seem pretty fast and forgiving for their poundage (33# and 34#). Unfortunately, I don't have access to a chrono so can't tell how fast they are. Another limb to consider would be PSE xpressions. They may not be the fastest but they sure are one of the smoothest limbs I have shot.

·
Registered
216 Posts
No joke here, I had a set of sky conquest limbs 55lbs med on a 21in riser with a 455g arrow my buddy drawls 29in he shot it threw the crono 3 times averaged 238 fps. at my drawl little under 27 was an average of 222 fps now this is no joke that was one bad bow.

·
The Mad Scientist
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
One should also be of the mindset that you knuckle draggers don't have to worry about these things, so consider yourself lucky. Those of us who have shorter than average draws or are not blessed with arms like Arrrnooold are not so lucky, and may have a point about seeking more performance. It's a relative thing, not my bow is faster than yours because it never can be. Heck If I had a 30" draw I'd be laughing too.

Tell you what, next time you look at hunting clothing, especially high end backpacking type gear (or even Cabelas) see if they make size men's small. Then notice they do make XXXL, but you will never see those guys 4 miles in at 10,000 feet. Then you might know my level of frustration with "hey Shorty, what's the problem?"

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,700 Posts
MAT,

I feel your pain. Obviously, not because of my draw length. At 30 inches I am just starting to approach anchor. It's being left handed !!! At least limbs and arrows are ambidextrous. Risers and one piece bows are definitely a problem. I have never been able to choose the color of a bow. And left handed is the last priority when planning manufacturing runs. I still cannot get a left handed BEST 2.0 grip for my Moon and Zenit. Worse than archery, though, I am a left handed guitar player. Enough said if you have every had to look for high quality left handed instruments.

·
Premium Member
4,989 Posts
Mat if I may ask and I mean this in a genuine good way

Can you post a video of you shooting

There was a time when I drew 26 3/4 inches

Thru reworking my form I am drawing over 28 inches these days

Its amazing what an 1 1\2 can hove you on energy

I am amazed at the performance I am getting

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Would you consider a longer riser to make use of shorter limbs? Less mass in the limbs could gain you 2-4 fps.

Also, I thought you had some Hex 5 limbs. What size were they and what length riser were you shooting with them?

I am also with JP on the form question. Is it possible you have a longer draw in there somewhere?

Rasyad

·
Premium Member
1,114 Posts
I finally got to do some chrono work on our Max2 today and only at 26". All at 9gpp. Max2 that is being made for us averaged 192fps at 46# @ 26" 9 gpp. also our Max2 that we built a few sets, that I have one set that is 50.7# @ 26" 9gpp I got an average of 194 fps.
Speed is not anything if the limb is not stable, I can't seem to get a bad release that effects my accuracy. These are all foam cores carbon veneers.

Bob

1 - 20 of 37 Posts