TradTalk Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
For all I know my 20 year old chrony can be off. The speeds I get don't make sense to me. Maybe it's time for a new chrony.
At the distance I shoot or hunt it won't make a difference, I'm just looking at arrow energy.
Here's Dale Karch chronographing the samick discovery...and like much of what samick makes?...it's no slouch...

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Here's Dale Karch chronographing the samick discovery...and like much of what samick makes?...it's no slouch...

He's shooting 28" 10gpi at 50# from a machine for 182fps, I'm shooting 28.5" at 12gpi at 45# for 162fps (bolts turned to only one turn out), that put thing's into perspective.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
He's shooting 28" 10gpi at 50# from a machine for 182fps, I'm shooting 28.5" at 12gpi at 45# for 162fps (bolts turned to only one turn out), that put thing's into perspective.
In npost #4 you stated...

"Right now shooting my Samick Discovery at 45#, 28.5 DL, 470grn arrow at a blazing 158fps...."

470grs/45# is 10.4gpp then factor in your extra 1/2" of DL and?....

I was only trying to help you out with some ref material....good luck with your future endeavors and happy shooting..hope you find what you're looking for.

·
Registered
551 Posts
If you want 180 fps at 28" use 10gpp

Or buy an expensive supercurve.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
In npost #4 you stated...

"Right now shooting my Samick Discovery at 45#, 28.5 DL, 470grn arrow at a blazing 158fps...."

470grs/45# is 10.4gpp then factor in your extra 1/2" of DL and?....

I was only trying to help you out with some ref material....good luck with your future endeavors and happy shooting..hope you find what you're looking for.
My math was off, I had 40# in my head. I did pick up a few FPS turning my limb bolts in.
I'm just going to live with what I have, there is no point in me chasing 10 or more fps for the shooting I do.
I really like the bow, I just thought it would be a little faster.
Thanks.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Maybe I was a bit too hopeful in my FPS speeds with my poundage and draw length. Plus I'm not looking at spending a lot of money for +20 FPS. Being new to traditional archery I'm still learning.
When I started out 50 years ago before shooting compounds we just shot the heaviest bows and settled for whatever, we had no chronographs. It was about ten years later when I started with compounds and quickly learned the hay bales we used for our recurves didn't stop compound arrows, that's all I needed to know as far as speed/power for hunting. The 70#compound bows reliably shot pass throughs on most shots on deer.
I have to wonder sometimes how fast was that old 50# Ben Pearson with I don't know what weight arrows.
On that note, Groves Spitfire recurves from the '60's & '70's broke 200 fps. I'm having trouble not buying one on eBay right now!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Should look into a ghillie dhu hunter. I shoot roughly 700g arrows and am getting 198-199 fps according to my chronograph. They are short bows though. Could also look into a sheepeater static tip. Here's my ghillie...

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Haybale Hunter
252 Posts
My Bear Super Kodiak is fast. I've never put it through the chronometer but its noticeably faster than all of my ILF setups of the same draw weight. The hiss of the feather drag is LOUD.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts