Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For SW BB target shooting is there a noticeable difference between them? I currently have 8125 on one bow and FF on another and I can't really tell the difference. The only thing I'm seeing is that the FF seems to be wearing out faster than the 8125.

I've never tried 450+ so I have no clue about it.

I can't notice a difference in performance like I said but is there one that is preferred at the top levels? Why?

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
Ive used FF+, 8125, 8190 and a few others. Prefer the FF+

·
Premium Member
20,889 Posts
8125 is good stuff and seemingly doe's not wear out on my Bows in two years of shooting. I am thinking 450 is very strong if not the strongest per strand?

·
Registered
896 Posts
I read that Korean archers prefer FF+ or Angel Dyneema, but I can't point you at the source for that. They aren't BB archers, but they put a lot of arrows through their bows :)

I've heard Mr Park of W&W at a seminar explicitly state that you should not use low-stretch vectran blended strings on his limbs. This includes BCY-X, 452, and (I believe) 450.

George Tekmitchov said something similar about Hoyt limbs on (I believe) Archery Talk, and Border say the same thing about their products too.

Personally, I've had the same experience you had: little difference in feel, but the FF+ is more fragile.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
One might see that the Dyneema/Vectran blends such as 450+, 452X and BCY-X are a couple fps slower than the straight Dyneema materials like 8190.

The Dyneema/Vectran blends are also more thermally stable, that is they don't show stretch on hot days. I have seen stretch on a straight Dyneema string, 8190. But it was a truly insane day, hours in the straight sun. It was so bad that I myself started to get sick from the sun and heat. I was curious, and had it together enough to check my brace just before my brain melted out of my ears. It was a 67" long string, on an ILF with LB limbs in it set to 50# draw weight at my draw length. Brace had dropped 1/8". Being stretch, rather than creep though, it did recover after making it out of the sun.

Beyond those 2 things though, there is just feel of the shot. I do perceive a difference, with the blends feeling somewhat more "crisp." But not everybody really feels it the same way, or even cares.

My favorite for years was the 450+ but currently I'm into the BCY-X.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
A couple of makers are warning against the 452X type materials. D97 and FF+ are the same thing but different strand sizes.
A couple of previous threads on here that might shed more light on it for you.
Strings are cheap, especially compared to limbs.
I am sure that some of the commercial string makers will be along to comment

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Not positive what the 8125g compares to, but I understood it is in with D97/ FF+

·
Northman
486 Posts
Here's some great info from a very reliable source, Chad @ Champion Custom Bowstrings, who builds some great strings:

>>>>>>>"You have three basic types of string material.*

Polyester (dacron), which is B-55 or B-50. B-55 has slightly less stretch and creep, but either are safe for any bow...except Jack Harrison (Black Wolf) would void your warranty if you used dacron or a Flemish string (go figure).

Next is 100% HMPE or UHMWPE. A couple of popular brand names are Dyneema and Spectra. The original Fast Flight material (invented by Ray Browne and Bob Destin, founders of BCY) is SK65 Spectra but the better HMPE materials now are Dyneema. The best of these IMO is Mercury, but there are many professional archers including Olympic archer Brady Ellison and recent World Champions Dewayne Martin and Calvin Smock still use 8125. Dynaflight '97 is also a very popular version of a 100% HMPE material.

Finally you have the blended materials. The first was 450 Premium, invented by Bob Destin of BCY. This led to 450+, then 452X and Trophy, and the newest is BCY-X. BCY-X is my current favorite, and unlike pretty much every other material it's patented so nobody else can try to copy it.*

The only material on the market I know of that's not recommended for Flemish strings is Angel Majesty. It's for endless only.

How the string is made...the twists, the strand count, etc. makes as much or more difference in how it feels and shoots as the material it's made from.*

Don't expect to pick up 20 fps when switching from dacron to one of the other materials. Where these materials really shine is in durability and stability. They do cost more--price per spool is noticeable, price per string difference is negligible.*

I won't try to argue perception, and there are exceptions to every rule...but the general facts about the materials are easily verifiable.

452X is 33% Vectran, 67% SK75 Dyneema. Vectran has no give, although it does feel softer to the touch.

BCY-X is 17% Vectran, 83% SK90 Dyneema. Slightly less stable than 452X, not enough to notice on traditional bows. The formula will be changing to SK99 Dyneema around the first of the year which will make it even more stable and durable.

Vectran is a heavier material than Dyneema, so if the strings are the same diameter the 452X string will weigh more than a BCY-X string.

100% HMPE strings will be the lightest, but are more susceptable to temperature changes, especially when it gets hot. Reason being, Vectran's melting point is about double that of HMPE so the blended materials are more stable."<<<<<<<<<

·
ryan brodrick
2,137 Posts
Too bad chad can't post here anymore.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts