Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been on a search for an ILF riser. My ideal one would be the same design and grip as the Hoyt Buffalo and also in the same length. There are similar Hoyt ILF designs but the shortest that I found was a 21" length. Talk of the Samick Discovery sort of got my interest up. It is a nice looking riser but a bit short as I want to set up a 64" bow with readily available used limbs. About a week ago my latest sale pamphlet from 3Rivers arrived. It had an ad for the Atlas riser. The riser has just about every adjustment and bushing available. My only real concern was I had never heard of a brand named Farmington. A little research later, I learned that Farmington is the company that imports the Samick brand. The light came on! No wonder the little brass riser weights look identical for both the Discovery and Atlas. The next step was to compare vendors to find the best price. I found it on-line for $239 and change with free shipping. Estimated delivery is next Tuesday.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Am interested if the Farmington Atlas is suitable for LB, especially in terms of low BH. Any input appreciated!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't even decided on a set of limbs yet. One of the reason that I ordered this riser was to be able utilize high end ILF limbs when someone decides to dump them at a bargain price. I doubt that I'll ever buy any LB limbs, though. They aren't as common on the used market and I really prefer my longbows to be wood.

·
Premium Member
12,103 Posts
3R bamboo core XL 45# longbow limbs on LW this morning
John McCabe I think he's active here too, or he used to be

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm going to have to be careful on the weight. Something is going on with my shoulder. Really sharp pain that is getting worse by the week. I tried to shoot with forty pound limbs yesterday and couldn't wait to let go of the string in order to get the pain to ease. It all started from throwing a ball for the dog to fetch. I've never shot what I consider to be heavy bows.
I would have had it looked at by now but already had lens implants on the horizon. Recovery from that is just about complete so now I'm ready to get the shoulder issue figured out.

It would be nice if there were a chart telling which riser length is used for weighing all the different makes and models of ILF limbs. It is nice that the dimensions were standardized but is really boneheaded not to weigh them all on a standardized riser. I'm afraid that those forty five pound limbs will actually be more like 51-53 pounds on this riser unless they were weighed on a short riser. I have a set of 38 pound mediums on the 19" Buffalo riser and they scale at 47.

·
Premium Member
12,103 Posts
3rivers' DAS limbs are all marked with pounds on the 17" risers. I might've missed length of your Atlas riser......the XLs I mentioned go 64" on a 17" riser....

Reactions: Brad Lehmann

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is good to know, Steve. Thanks. The Atlas is a 19" riser so I'm guessing a shade under 44lbs for those limbs. I've seen it go between one and one and a half when I mix limbs and risers on my Schafers. I was surprised that the 38 pound limbs on the Buffalo riser were so heavy. I was hoping for sub 45.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts