Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question I hope your collective knowledge can help me with.
My form and shooting is progressing well, but one of the steps I have a hard time with (in my shooting sequence) is complete focus on the target. When I get to it, as I shoot with a vertical bow the string, being in front of my eye, precludes me from seeing the target. (if I twist it, I create torque as my string hand doesn't want to twist that way)
Adding to that that my dominance (left) is not that strong, I see in my peripheral 2 arrows, often the wrong one more in focus because the dominant eye is covered by the string. or worse they come in and out in the field of vision, making me distracted, and spend a lot of time (seconds) trying to 'see'.
I know I'm not the first. What are good approaches to solving the issue?
Thanks! Much appreciated.
Marco

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
I don't look through my string, it's actually off to the side. I align it with a spot on the riser. Search string blur for more advice.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I've never seen my string one time when I come to full draw!!

I wouldn't worry about the string focus more on the shot.

Dewayne Martin

·
markliep
687 Posts
Think it's a preference thing either through or to the side & aligned with the riser edge - fwiw I found that my stance affected how the sight pic sets itself up at draw - in Rick Mc'Kinneys book there's a pic showing where different nationality archers Aligned their string relative to the riser edge - lesson I got from that is to choose what works consistently for you & go from there - M

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
My reply came across more blunt than I would have liked...I'm sorry.

I just wanted to say that I've never noticed the string I'm so focused on the arrow tip and the spot I want it to end up before release.

Dewayne

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
String color can have a pretty noticeable effect on how difficult it is to either pick-up or look past the blur. I'm currently shooting black because it doesn't glow so much in direct sunlight, unfortunately it also seems to be the most solid color to try and see past if you align the blur directly with the shaft. I try to align just slightly right of the shaft.

-Grant

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.