Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for an inexspensive external frame pack. It will be used for general camping as well as packing in to hunt. It dont have to be camo...I have a camo poncho that I will put over it to help weather proof it. What it must be is sturdy, light weight, and have a large capacity. I will want to be able to pack for a week at a time. It must have lash points for an ax, shovel, and my bedroll/sleeping bag.

Your suggestions are most welcome.

WA

·
Barefaced tightropewalker
8,511 Posts
What you REALLY, REALLY need is one of these....

You can see the shovel and pickaxe on top of the wings, external roll frame, a roof tent including bed roll, winch to get the carcase accessible, a longer wheel base will transport the whole thing, water in jerry cans carried on the rear sides, sturdy, light weight, will carry provisions for a month and best of all.... IT carrys YOU (and co-pilot)!

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If ya got one for under $150.00 (my limit) I'll take it!!

WA

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Kelty makes a good pack frame and is reasonably priced.

The bag is large, tough and roomy, easy on, easy off. Sorry no pics of bag, but this is a very comfortable frame for packing big loads, and yes, that is blood on my ass.

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Seven Arrows...That's the Kelty Freighter pack, I have had one for over 30 years and it has packed out a lot of meat from deer to caribou to moose to lots of camping gear. A great, affordable bombproof pack, I imagine they still are made...warf

·
Sitting Bull
1,682 Posts
Kelty makes a very good pack. I don't own one, but I have used one and a friend of mine has had one for years.

Curiosity, but why do you specifically want an external frame? I have an internal frame Lafuma. 60+10 L I can carry it all day. They are less cumbersome and shift less than an external framed pack.

·
Premium Member
1,674 Posts
That Ketly pack is sold thru Cabela's, and at a reasonable price to, I think mine was about $90.00. It is made very well and is quite versatile, as it converts from full ext. frame back pack, to soft pack, to seat and packing frame. I haven't seen a better pack anywhere near that price, and I shopped till I dropped.

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Brad B, I want an external for the ability to lash everything from a spare tube of arrows to an ax, to quartered game to. I used them in scouts and in the Army and I am very comfortable with them.

That Kelty Freighter pack looks like just the ticket! Think it will hold clothes and gear for a week?

WA

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cool! Now if I can find one for sale, LOL!

WA

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Actually I think I am going to go with the Men's Kelty Trekker 3950 External Frame Pack. It holds 3950 cu. in., weighs 5 lbs. 7 oz. empty, has 6 external pockets, and is 29" x 22.5" x 13". Only $119.99 at Campmor.

WA

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I may not be getting ANY pack right now. The electrician just left from an unexpected visit. Sunday work aint cheap!!

Might have to wait a few weeks or so before I can get one now, Fun Money just got done walking out the door.

BB1004

·
Barefaced tightropewalker
8,511 Posts
Oh well..............at least you still have us..............:)

·
Registered
474 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
I have used a Camptrails freighter frame for about 20 yrs. Most of the time my hauls are only about 2miles getting corn in and pigs out of the boggy bottoms.

Alas my days for packing 80# of meat over dead falls, up mountains and across slides of shattered shell are over. I gotta buy a mule :)

rusty

1 - 16 of 16 Posts