Trad Talk Forums banner

exploring new ground

2K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  JParanee 
#1 ·
In the past I've always been the kind to use a heavier draw weight. normally in the 55 to 60 pound range I just recently purchased a tradtech titan II with blackmax extremes. It maxes out at #45. I was concerned that It wouldent be sufficient for hunting. But after some testing with different arrow spines and weights I was pleasantly surprised. I settled on beman ics hunters. 500 spine with a 100 grn tip bareshafts absolutley perfect. Total arrow weight is 360 grn and smokes through the chronograph at 190 fps. This setup gives me my normal 8gpp of arrow weight which I feel is a good all around choice and still has enough speed to minimize drop while on the 3D range. After shooting #55-#60 for years the lighter weight is a dream at full draw and my accuracy has improved

#3 ·
I know alot of guys hunt with that weight but I wasent comfortable with it. I guess im going to have to give it a try. The accuracy and speed are there. Im just not sure about the penetration. Im used to 450-500 grn arrows at about the same speed. I will be trading my 3 blade heads in for 2 blade, thats for sure

#5 ·
Jersey - I've gotten dozens of pass throughs on deer at 45 lbs. with much lighter arrows than you are going to shoot. Shoot with confidence you will blow right through them.

A good compromise on the heads is the Magnus 4 blade stinger the bleeders are small and very very sharp. Personally I prefer 3 and 4 blade heads even on "light" set ups.

---------------------------------------------------

Team Montana - we are coming for your quarters ;-)

#6 ·
I matt. I have a few dozen NAP Hellrazor that should work. Neat little 100 grn heads

#7 ·
A'm sure I'll get it worked out but there's no replacement for horsepower. I would feel much better shooting A 500 grn arrow at #55

#11 ·
Your right longrifle. A well tuned lighter bow shooting firey darts...haha

#13 ·
I hunt with 45 to 47 pounds at my draw length of almost 30". I've shot a deer with 70 pound compound and don't get Passthrough's. I grew up shooting at the off side shoulder and that seems to stop the arrow from passing through. All that said, I believe 45 pounds is sufficient for hunting deer.! In a pinch one year I used my wife's 36 pound compound with a 24 inch draw to kill a doe at 15 yards. The penetration wasn't great but it was effective. I do question the 100 grain tips you're using, would like to hear others opinion on light weight broadheads.

#15 ·
I started shooting bemans the year the company came into existence and never looked back. I currently have about 6 different bemans to choose from. As far as the point Weight I will probably switch to 125 grn for a broader choice of heads. Im also considering using my beman centershot with 75grn inserts which would get my arrow weight up to 465 grn. Im probably being over cautious about loosing arrow speed after shooting much higher poundage in the past

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.