Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Victim of Geography
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read the limb adjustment posts and see many recommend a bill should be able to be slid between the limb and riser.

Can someone explain this to me slowly.

Reason is my arrows are still weak and according to the instruction for my Pinnacle I can go 5 turns out from when the brass bushing touches the riser.
I'm 4 1/2 out now and am scared to go to the limit as I know the limbs can be damaged or fail if this $ bill clearance is not there.

I know the adjustments are meant for tiller but I don't want to cut my shafts and my strike plate is already built out so my shaft is about 3 times the diameter from center of the string.

I hope this is explained clearly!

Thanks all.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
By cranking the limbs in/ out you can adjust tiller, and adjust draw weight some...but its more important to me that I can adjust the limb settings so that I am able to set the limbs to where they don't begin to stack at my draw. If you set a given length of limb so that they stack justbeyond your draw length you can get the most out of them in regards to performance without the discomfort of stacking...

I do use them to tune the bow to the arrows a little but how weak are your arrows showing?

Edit: That's alot of build out maybe post your setup so the more knowledgeable crowd can get a better idea of what you are working with. Maybe you are getting contact because of it and its showing a false weak?

·
Victim of Geography
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Arrows are slightly weak, around 3" @ 20m. Shooting GT35/55 30" with 100gr points.

Bow was well tuned when I hag cats whiskers on. Took them off recently, didn't realize how much they slowed the bow down! Have put small pieces of surgical tubing on the string to slow it down, this helped but not enough.

Should probably try 85gr points (none at hand) or trim arrows (no arrow saw). Just thought it convenient to use full length arrows.

Strikeplate built out so bow is 1/8 before center.

·
Victim of Geography
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Sam, it was something to do with the limbs not binding on the dedent fitting things (forget the proper name of them!)

·
j-san = Jason
1,680 Posts
Careful with how much you turn out a set of limbs. Go too far and you can cause some damage with the detent binding up in the dovetail. 5 turns is a good rule of thumb, but I have found some riser/limb combos to start binding at 4 turns. I check by unstringing the bow, turning the limb bolt all the way in snug with the limb in place and seeing how many turns it takes before the limb stops following the bolt smoothly. Personally, I add one turn in from that point to be sure I won't bind up the ILF system.

Regarding the weak arrows, is there a reason why you are no longer using the string silencers? If you plan to put a different set back on later, that will stiffen up the arrows a tad. I personally like my arrows tuning a touch weak even with the silencers on.

·
Barefaced tightropewalker
8,512 Posts
I tried to add my 2 cents but I could not get the limbs in the pockets with the coins floating around.
That's one way to increase the value of your riser.

I hope you only tried the lower pocket. After all it's a barebow.

·
Premium Member
3,734 Posts
Try backing the limb bolts out on an unstrung limb until you actually feel the fitting binding. How many turns out is that? I'd go in at least a turn from there to avoid binding under load. I never went to extremes with adjustment on the Pinnacle, so I don't know if that suggestion is outside of the recommended.
The prudent thing to do is stay within manufacturers' recommendations.
I figure if I can't get things to tune, it might be a good excuse to get new arrows or limbs or both....;) :shooting:

Reactions: Zulu

·
Victim of Geography
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you all.

Hank, your 2 cents are duly noted! Bowbender Mike, TT say 5 turns out with 3 1/2 available for adjustment. I checked now and at 4 3/4 out the limbs can still move off the riser whilst in contact with the bolts. I'm at 4 turns out now, been loosening them 1/4 at a time and that amount makes a difference. Probably need another 1/4 turn out to get them spot on but would rather err on the side of safety.

Have yourselves a good weekend.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.