Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard it said here to separate the release from the aiming. This got me to thinking that you guys probably have a "shot sequence" or step by step execution of the shot. I would appreciate the chance to ponder discussion about this topic

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
Most guys have a fairly set sequence.

My short one

1)feet
2)pelvis
3) shoulders/head
4)bring the bow up
5)draw the bow to anchor
6) transfer the weight
7) aim
8) bring the shot to conclusion/touch point

I don't do it by rote every-time due to the fact I've run it many many times on the bale.

Matt

·
Registered
137 Posts
1. Feet.
2. Shoulders.
3. Eye the target for range estimation.
4. Look at serving under nock to determine crawl to use. (I've marked my serving. I've also wrapped the serving from nock down with green thread. Where it stops is 20 yard crawl.)
5. Grasp string at that point.
6. Bow up and draw with eye on target.
7. Index finger to corner of mouth.
8. Relax third finger from string.
9. Verify index finger remains in corner of mouth.
10. Point on.
11. Release.

Then repeat.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I never gave much thought to stance. I am evolving from instinctive where I thought about nothing but where I wanted to hit. I suppose I should incorporate a sequence. LOL, reminds me of a guy on the range. We were talking about dominate eye. He said he closed one eye. I said I shoot both eyes open, another said I close one eye till I get ready to shoot and then close the other, LOL

·
Registered
638 Posts
Still in the very early stages, but the following is the result of 6 weeks of Bridge work - nearly all blank bale - and some very apt coaching.

1.) Set foot stance

2.) Align spinal column - 3 axis orientation - from base of skull to and including pelvis

3.) Take up initial string tension - hands still low - before draw proper

4.) Draw and anchor (one deliberate move)

5.) Expand to full draw (transfer of loading from arm and neck tension to back muscles)

6.) Steady at aim point.

7.) Release "happens" . . . whenever

8.) Maintain stance after release until arrow strikes, then deliberately let down

Still working to incorporate my breath sequence into the above. Right now I begin to exhale very slowly at Expansion (5.), with complete exhale and the start of the next inhale just after Release (6.) - but that is not locked in quite yet.

And

9.) Continue with the reps - for as many as you can maintain focus during any given session - until the day comes that you realise (with some surprise) that you no longer are thinking at all about the steps, the sequence. This has happened for short periods of time a couple times already for me.

There is no comparison to where I was 6 weeks ago. I know the improvement has been at the level of orders of magnitude, but maybe just because I was so godawful to begin with.

Take this for what it is . . . there are waaaay more skilled people on this board than yrs truly.

Regards,

Salskov

Reactions: Easykeeper

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will try this "transfer". I will rewatch Masters of the barebow. If I recall, Rod had much to say in regards to this. I would like to find a good DVD on the sequence of the shot, emphasis on release.

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
1) Stance
2) nock
3) crawl/hook
4) raise the bow/drop the bow shoulder
5) draw
6) anchor
7) aim
8) execute

But honestly after raising the bow everything is pretty much autopilot. Right now I'm working on aiming without anxiety, it still needs work.

-Grant

·
Victim of Geography
1,160 Posts
1) Stance
2) nock
3) crawl/hook
4) raise the bow/drop the bow shoulder
5) draw
6) anchor
7) aim
8) execute

But honestly after raising the bow everything is pretty much autopilot. Right now I'm working on aiming without anxiety, it still needs work.

-Grant
Care to explain this.

Probably obvious to most, not to me!

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
1.) Left hand – light grip. Right hand - deep hook

2.) Bow arm up - Left shoulder – locked down

3.) Relax right forearm muscles

4.) Picture funnel and arrow in target

5.) Look at cresting exhaling

6.) Draw inhaling

7.) Anchor

8.) Gap

9.) Back tension/release

As I go through 1 to 9 in my mind I repeat a mantra (kill, kill, kill, Well I've been thinking of changing it to 'harvest, harvest, harvest' to be politically correct).

To be more specific about the last #9 - release I don't really have one because of Rod Jenkins - I use back tension to pull my fingers off the string.

And to answer how long it takes, depends if an animal is close or not. Close 2 seconds, all the time to spare about 7.

Bowmania

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
Care to explain this.

Probably obvious to most, not to me!

Thanks.
Once you've got a little tension on the bowstring you apply some tension into your bow shoulder in a downward direction to ensure that it won't try to creep up.

-Grant

Reactions: Easykeeper and Zulu

·
Premium Member
All
1,045 Posts
Also, how long does you whole sequence take from start to anchor and length of hold at anchor to release.
==============
Hello Zulu
Time would vary I would think on the type archery shooting events one shoots.
And how ones bow is equipped.
I timed a lot of pros in my area shooting sights with a wheel bow.
From the time they start to raise there bow till execution of the shot ranged from 13 to 15 seconds.

Now for recurve and relating to my shooting time at my age using a sight.Is 8 to 10 seconds from the time I raise the bow. Till the execution of the shot [ Later

·
Premium Member
20,889 Posts
I shoot with a relatively loose grip on a lite weight hunting Bow and no sling. Did some shooting today fine tuning my Turkey Bow for Saturday. The hand is the fulcrum for the Bow and the Bow arm must be solid and unmoving, especially with no weight or stabilizers. The least bit of unsteady bone on bone transfer or hand pressure will cause torque or for me a right of group arrow if I have any bow arm collapse. The Bow arm must not move and the Bow allowed to react how it will without any grip torque or movement through expansion to conclusion and follow through. Any thing short of that with a lite Bow is a bad shot.:shooting:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.