Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just reading this.

TradTalk Main Forum
IMPORTANT: In these forums, shooting techniques, target shooting, FITA, stump shooting, bowhunting, and everything else related to traditional archery equipment and shooting are discussed. If it's got one string and no wheels, it's traditional and we're not going to argue about it.

I had a thought. Are there traditional bows (or historical bows) with more than one string? The Penobscot bow is one example. Are there others anyone can think of?

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
I can't think of any. I haven't looked at a compound for a looong time. Don't they have a single string, just wrapped around cams?

I don't like the term traditional. Archery and bows were here first. Why should we have to identify ourselves with another term?

Bowmaniat

·
Bart Harmeling
3,491 Posts
NASP uses the Genesis bow. Looks like a compound but draws with a constant draw weight over a range of draw lengths. Perfect for kids of differing sizes.

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I was thinking of novel historical designs like the penobscot bow. Ingenious designs from the olden days.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Arctic cable backed bows -

regards,

John
Wood Twig Pattern Wire Metal

Reactions: longbowguy

·
Registered
39 Posts
White wolf archery makes a very interesting bow with multiple strings and limbs.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Its a historical anomaly. I dont think it fits well with anything, People still make them but they are a niche product. I noticed that White Wolf made them some years ago but I had never read much about the origins before.

But you have to salute the original people that came up with the idea.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
So long as nothing is pivoting on an axle I'm thinking it's traditional enough. Once you throw a wheel or lever in there well....

·
Bart Harmeling
3,491 Posts
So long as nothing is pivoting on an axle I'm thinking it's traditional enough. Once you throw a wheel or lever in there well....
Limbs are levers.

Question: How do you think the Penobscots managed stringing their bows. This design using modern materials is one thing, but using primitive materials meant the bow could not be left strung for storage and transportation. Would love to read about the history of these.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Nuthatch, didn't mean to be offensive. This is just my .02 and that's it, so take it for what it's worth. Not trying to start a controvery or argument. I believe that back then, people thought differently than we do now. They used what they had and they figured it out. A couple of years ago I visited a Leonardo DaVinci exhibit and was fascinated by what he had designed. Using the materials they had and ingenuity, they developed what they could in order to hunt with and what was most effective. I think because we have so much information available to us now about what works and doesn't, that we have a major advantage. Back then, no internet, no phone, not even close to the technology we have etc, etc... I am fasinated by alot of the structures, tools, etc, etc, that were developed.... The peobscot bow is definately an interesting way to make a bow. How to string it ???

·
Bart Harmeling
3,491 Posts
None taken. The point I was trying to make was that with primitive materials like self wood, raw hide and sinew, you can't leave your bow strung or the materials will stretch or lose there spring. So primitive bows essentially need to be carried unstrung until they are needed. The Penobscot bow would have been made of the materials that the Penobscot tribe had available. If they carried their bows strung their materials would have stretched and lost spring. Stringing that bow must have been a fairly complex process. The advantage the design provided must have been substantial to compensate for the extra effort, time and materials it took to make and use.

I found this video that shows how to string the Penobscot. Looks pretty simple actually.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts