Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who uses it? Where do you get it? What poundage and thickness do you get? I need a nice light target to shoot at that I can carry up and down hills. I've heard good things about it, but I could use some more info.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
We use it for fly tying - give me a call at work and I'll get you a source.

I have two of the small black hole targets I use for the same purpose I'm betting they are cheaper than making targets.

---------------------------------------------------

Team Montana - we are coming for your quarters ;-)

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
Comes in different densities. (what I've seen.) The heaviest is too hard, will stop crossbows but a bear to pull an arrow from.

We get 4x9' sheets from a plastics dealer, 2 inch thick, about $100 a sheet. Backed with rags in a large frame. Have to change it once a year, gets a lot of use during winter league shooting.

(Changed the numbers, wasn't certain!)

This link shows what's available -

http://www.newenglandfoam.com/polyethylene.html

·
Barefaced tightropewalker
8,511 Posts
Pulled this from a Swedish forum:

Posted by Ben Elwing.

Tänk på att välja en densitet som funkar för behovet.
Vi har stor butt med 15mm lameller 250mm djup och densitet på 220, denna stoppar ej smala eller comp.pilar, måste till bra backstopp. Funkar bra till LB pilar.
Läkningen efter pilhålen är bättre ju lägre densitet, men pressas lamellerna hårt blir läkningen sämre och skadorna större än vid låg hopspänningskraft.
Densitet på 400 och 300mm djup är på gränsen för comp.
Densitet 700 håller comp. men läkningen blir sämre och pilarna sitter hårt.
Utomhus blir etafoamen "smord" om det regnar och kräver då djupare material eller backstopp.

Not keeping up with your European Language Studies.....?

Try:

Remember to choose a density that works for the needs.
We have great butt with 15mm layers to a 250mm depth, and density at 220, this does not stop the narrow or compound arrows- must use a good backstop. Works great for LB arrows.
Healing of the arrow-slits is better the lower the density, the compressed hard layers have poorer healing and damage is greater than at lower density.
Density at 400 and 300mm depth is at the limit for compound.
Density 700 keeps compound but healing is getting worse and the arrows are hard to remove.
Outdoors ethafoam becomes "greased" if it rains and then requires deeper material or a backstop.

I've seen a commercially produced target butt that has a layer of harder ethafoam sandwiched between outer layers of lesser density. Perhaps a combination of layers?

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
The stuff listed in the link above is 6#. It does OK, but I like the 9# stuff if you can get it.
I like to take two sheets and tape them together. Then after shooting a while, especially with broadheads, I take them apart and turn one of them, and tape them together again.
This way the arrow holes are not aligning up behind each other on the sheets and it extends the life of the targets.

·
Premium Member
All
1,345 Posts
Hello All
They made it about 30 miles away from me. Then they moved to Illinois I think.[ Cry
Now they gave it to are club.
I cabbage some from another souse. That lived close to the plant for $10 a sheet 4x8.
They actually throw-ed some away in big hoppers.

I use 4 pound for a facing for target arrows.
And 6 pound for broad heads
Later.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.