Trad Talk Forums banner

Entry level longbow

5K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Bowbender Mike 
#1 ·
I am looking to try out a longbow. My thought is to get a light weight entry level bow that I can spend some time with to help determine how deeply I want to make the plung, and how much weight I am willing to pull. I would not be looking to compete except as a novelty since I am already doing so in FITA barebow competitions.

Greatree makes some bows in the $200 and below range. Anybody know how good they are? Greatree is an emerging company in the entry level market.

Any recommendations for a good starter longbow? I am looking for left handed, and about 40 pounds at 31 inch draw, which I figure will be about a 32 pound bow.

#2 ·
Samicks SLB69 is a far better bow than the cost would sugjest.
I had one for about 5 years and really enjoyed it.
They do have a rather chunky grip that suits a large hand better the my tiny paws,but a bit of work with a rasp followed by some fine sandpaper solved that problem.

I now have a Manchester solo that is made by Great tree.
I would "NOT" recommend this bow to anybody I liked.
OK,so longbows are not my main thing,but I do like to have one around just because you should.

One day the local economy will improve an I'll replace the Solo with something nice like a Mohawk classic,,,which seems to get great reviews an doesn't cost the earth.

Good luck.:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.