Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Spearhead
3,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok ladies and gentlemen.
During the field course in Yankton I noticed my gaps had changed. Seems I was dropping out of the target at longer distances.
I will be the first to admit, my gaps were not solid same with form, switching from split finger to 3 under 2-3 months out wasn’t the best move. Yet when I switched I wasn’t planning on going to darington wa to shot nationals. So I had 2-3 years. That changed when they changed locations.

So will elevation affect gaps/crawls.
I was shocked to find the elevation difference between where I practice to where the shoot was held.
Approx 3000-3200 feet lower in elevation.

Chad

·
Super Moderator
2,751 Posts
I suspect your subconscious will sort it out with little input from your conscious.

Example: I have always shot a lot of different bow and arrow combinations; I think it has done me more good than harm. One day I dropped down 4 pounds in draw weight with the same arrows. As I expected I tended to hit low at the middle to long ranges. But after a while I was hitting the same as usual. What's up with that?

I call my subconscious Emil the Aimer and I talk to him. I tell him I am in charge of windage, tuning, hydration and nutrition, but that he is in charge of elevation. He is much better at it than I am. I suspect he uses some combination of draw length, posture, and crispness of release, but I do not know for sure. Emil knows.

Example II: If I get up a zero dark thirty on a Sunday morning and drive 120 to an event near the Pacific coast in the fog, I will start out shooting low and left. I compensate but also ask Emil to 'keep them up'. Later the sun burns off the fog and warms my back. I uncompensate and ask Emil to do the same.

If you want to help Emil out your could detune your bowstring before the event by about a dozen twists, and then retune it when you get there. But I bet he can handle it without your help, if you encourage him a bit.

You can give yours another name; I used to call mine Lenny. A lady friend call hers Amy the Aimer. The subconscious knows a lot more than we do. - lbg

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,658 Posts
Drag has a greater impact on the longer shots. Air density from elevation impacts drag. When I was shooting FITA target I would calibrate during the practice ends. My point of aim was not the same from course to course, but it was consistent when I returned to the same course the following year. My arrows would fly short at Discovery Park in Sacramento. I would go up the day before figuring to shoot a few arrows to warm up, and would end up spending half the day getting sighted in. Differences could be from prevailing winds, or as you suggest, changes in drag from elevation. I was concerned when I went to Albuquerque to shoot indoor nationals. A little change and your arrows are in the blue. I recalibrated during practice ends. Learning to adapt your aiming system for the conditions is key.

·
Spearhead
3,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Longbowguy, great what your saying is to put names to the voices in my head. Might not be a good idea lol.

Hank, yes drag, denser air at lower elevation has more drag, esp with feathers.
Didn’t really think of elevation having an effect till the longer shots were dropping out, then looked at elevation differences between the two ranges and only 500 miles between the two.
probably a good point to go to a mylar or similar spin wing vane or a vane period, still like feathers tho.

Chad

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,658 Posts
My current field bow and arrow setup is really sensitive at longer distances. Where normally I have a 10 yard gap between aiming at the top and bottom of the target, it has gone to about 20. And this is when shooting 60 and above. I was shooting spin wings but changed to feathers. I like the feathers for FITA field where I only need to shoot out to 50 meters, but I think for NFAA I better return to the spin wings. I designed the setup for FITA field.

·
Spearhead
3,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gary. I did wholly crap over drew till my ear lol.

Side note, you and Sandy going to Vegas.
Nice to see you on here again.

Spring I hope to get more solid gaps and keep working form and 3 under.

Chad

·
Super Moderator
2,751 Posts
Some further recollections:
13 years ago I moved from the Sacramento Valley elevation 40 feet to Colorado and shot at Air Force Academy archery ranges elevation 7000. 3 years later I came back.

I don't recall giving much attention to changes is my gaps to 80 yards. No more that the normal adjustments due to weather and the state of my training. I imagine the Olympic coaches have worked out some formulas and the top level target compound archers, but I have not read of it.

My impression is that it is not a very big deal, even with 4" feathers. Nothing Emil and Lenny could not handle. I talk to them but they do not talk to me much, just an insult now and then. - lbg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts