Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first bow was a Howard Hill "Westley Special", 50#@28. I shot it for a few months, split finger instinctive, and got nowhere with it. Eventually I put it away and forgot about archery. About six months ago the bug bit again, and I have been shooting barebow recurve (USAA rules) in a league. Stringwalking, plunger, Zniper rest, etc. have allowed me to get my scores into the 260 range on the indoor 300, whereas with the longbow I often would miss the paper.

That Westley Special really calls out to me, though, and once I have the strength to pull it with proper form I am going to attempt to master it again.

I don't think I want to go back to instinctive shooting though, and I want to stick with three under as well. One problem is that the bow is tillered for split and is loud and grumpy when I try three under, let alone stringwalking. It feels abusive to the bow. Another is that the tiny little shelf doesn't allow me to shoot the bow vertically, as the arrows fall off the shelf. All of my training and coaching so far has been with the bow vertical, and I'm not yet ready to ditch all of that for a canted bow.

So I am wondering if I can kill two birds with one stone. It seems to me that removing the leather from the side of the riser and adding a Hoyt Super Rest would allow me to raise the nocking point enough that I will again be pulling the bow where it was meant to be pulled (even with three fingers under) as well as keeping the arrow in place.

Aside from looking stupid and offending people, is there any reason why this is a poor idea?

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,658 Posts
I am a barebow stringwalker who has also competed, as a change of pace, in the longbow division. You can compensate for the tiller by raising the nock point. You should have no problem shooting three under without having to resort to installing a rest. I shoot my longbow vertically. It may take some getting used to. You just need to give it some time. I don't see anything intrinsically bad about using a Hoyt Super Rest. You will need to change your nock point again and see if you can get decent balance out of your bow. I have not heard of anyone being successful stringwalking a longbow. That doesn't mean it can't be done.

I struggled when I first took up longbow and tried setting one up on a target riser with ILF longbow limbs, rest and plunger. I figured I would gradually migrate to my standard longbow by making one change at a time. I quickly gave up on the experiment since the bow limbs turned out to be very noodly on the 25 inch riser. I just stuck with the standard longbow and kept working until I got it down. When I decided to compete, I got a better longbow which also helped, particularly in putting arrows on the center line without canting. I was also shooting wood arrows which makes it much more difficult.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Get a better longbow with a heavier riser.
What’s your draw weight on the ILF rig? If it is #55 maybe you will achieve better scores with the longbow if you shoot it enough time. If it is not, your problem is lack of control of #50 ASL and the elevated rest will be just a patch on a wooden leg.

·
Super Moderator
2,751 Posts
The Howard Hill design been built in greater quantity than any other, by far. None is better in popularity

With arrow nocks well fitted to your string the tendency of the string to roll under your fingers should hold your arrows on a narrow shelf, or none at all, when held vertically or even upside down. I once demonstrated that to some pupils.

As Hank describes you should be able to tune to three fingers under to enable shooting with the bow vertically, or try a slight cant.
- lbg

·
Super Moderator
775 Posts
lbg,

The last part of your post was uncalled for. There’s no need to be so critical for legitimate questions no matter how much we disagree with them.

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,658 Posts
I think what looks like the last line is actually his signature.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lbg,

The last part of your post was uncalled for. There's no need to be so critical for legitimate questions no matter how much we disagree with them.
Now I am curious about what I missed!

Regardless, I expected a bit of negativity and don't mind it. I appreciate the opinions so far.

·
Registered
921 Posts
You missed nothing, but you didn’t answer what poundage are you shooting with your ILF rig. Lipstick on a pig will not do it if you are overbowed.
PS You don't need to go "instinctive" to shoot a longbow, but if you can't hold it even for a second to get your gap right your problems are way bigger than holding the arrow on the rest.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I never shot "paper" until I was into my archery career by 30 years. I joined a league and had been shooting my 65 pound Martin Bushmaster.

To stand there on a line shoulder to shoulder with ten other guys and be forced to hold my bow vertical to keep from getting in other peoples way was incredibly distracting. I truly hated it. I switched to a 45 pound recurve just to manage my scores.

My point is good luck with what your trying to accomplish and if you make it work well done.

·
Haybale Hunter
330 Posts
I dont know, I just hate to think of ruining a good bow. The HH bows are designed to be shot a certain way.

Im not saying you can't do it but it's kind of like using a statue of the virgin Mary to hammer a nail.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I wouldn’t go there. There is no division who’s allowing a longbow with elevated rest. What is he doing with his own bow is his problem - from my pov he can shoot it backwards and drill it for a hunting stab or barebow weight. His money his pleasure

·
Registered
921 Posts
Sorry to say but not a first for lbg. :^(
He is passionate about the bows he shoots and disregarding his opinion to shoot the longbow with elevated rest while wearing a clown nose his answer has sound advises. Yours? Not much

PS Imagine I am buying the Gillo 29" riser and I come and say I want to make a rounded shelf with putty and fill the plunger holes because I want to shoot it canted and I don't like holes in the riser. I will have some interesting reading for sure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just for what it is worth, USA Archery "Modern Longbow" division calls for an elevated rest. Clown nose optional.

Anyway, I'm off to go paint over the Mona Lisa. I'll check back in the afternoon for any more advice. :p

·
Registered
921 Posts
If you shoot with an ASL in modern longbow division you have a disadvantage out of the gate. But do as you please

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That's for sure. I will have the advantage of being the only one shooting that division in my league, though, which nearly guarantees a podium!

·
Super Moderator
775 Posts
Haven't had as much experience with longbow as others, but my problems with them have mainly been due to their lightness and handshock. I would avoid light arrows and try to put as large a bow quiver as possible (i.e., 6+ arrows) to weight it down.

When I've had trouble with nock fit it's been due to nocks being too loose or my fingers touching the nock too much, especially with a deep hook. Make sure you're not curling or rotating your fingers while you're drawing back.

Tuning is probably the number one thing that will quieten down a bow, but TBH I've never gotten my 3-under setups as quiet as my split-finger setups. I shoot lighter arrows than most so maybe it's just more noticeable for me.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts