Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started shooting a Titan 2 several months ago. I added a very low grip to the riser. Im only pulling 43# which is less than all of my other bows.
Here is the problem, I have developed severe elbow pain, to the point of if I shoot the bow I am unable to sleep that night due to the pain. I have a brace and that that seems to help some.
My question is, is this due to low grip, is this due to it being a metal riser, altho it is well tuned with no shock.
Can changing to a high grip help with this problem..
Should I lay off shooting until the pain goes away.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Maybe changing to the low grip has put extra or different tension on your tendons which is now causing your issue.
I developed tendonitis while shooting a straight grip longbow after years of shooting medium grip recurves with no problems.
I don't think Titan being a metal riser would have anything to do with it.
Today I like a high grip and that along with my use of a Powerball exerciser has all but removed any sign of the problem,but as soon as I pick up a low grip bow it will return in a few days.
I'd recommend a short break and the daily use of the powerball.
www.powerballs.com

John.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Sounds like tendonitis in your bow elbow. Ice, ice and ice along with taking it easy. Better to nip it early on our it can be a huge bugger to get rid of.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,696 Posts
It took me 10 years and lots of therapy to get rid of tendonitis I got from climbing. My arm would get numb up to my armpit. I am starting to have some elbow pain from my weight training and shooting. I am watching it carefully to see how much rest is needed for it to go away. It is possible that the low grip on my longbow is contributing. I have been shooting more longbow than ever before. I got a bout of tendonitis when I about my third year of shooting. I got some cheap 26 pound limbs to take the load off. I then stepped up to 32's, 36's, but never back to regularly shooting my 40's. I shot my 40's at 90 meters the next year but pretty much stuck with 36's after that. At the time my draw length was 31 inches so the actual pounds on the fingers was greater.

Tennis elbow straps work great. I have tried many. My favorite has a gel pack which does a really good job of holding down the tendon without binding the elbow too tightly. I can get you the model number if you like.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help and Hank the model number would good, currently I'm using a Futuro Sport which seems to help control the pain. I may order a power ball also..I will lay off the bow for a couple weeks and also go to a high wrist grip..

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,696 Posts
Here is a link to the Aircast band. I tried a large number of bands over the 10 years of my recovery, especially, since I was trying to find something that did not knock off while climbing. This is the best that I tried. I never did find anything that worked for climbing, though.

You really have to cinch down tennis elbow straps pretty tight to hold the tendon down. That puts a lot of pressure on your entire forearm. I found that this one did not have to be cinched down as tightly since the gel pack sits right on the tendon, so that pressure is applied right where needed.

http://www.betterbraces.com/aircast-pneumatic-armband

You can find this cheaper other places. This site had good pictures.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Sorry to hear the pain has gotten this bad John.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
We are not ortho doctors. I'd recommend seeing one. I had realy bad elbow pain and it was a 1/2" bone spur on my elbow. Nothing relieved it including PT but when I tore my elbow tendon they fixed the bone spur at the same time.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I had a thread about this a couple months back. As usual, I was overworking myself at work. It was in both elbows, my bow arm the most. But thank God, it is 95% gone. I still have a slight twinge. Is yours in the exact elbow joint... or in the tendon right at the joint. The exact joint not being affected by touch, and the tendon sore/hurt to press it?

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
For both my bow arm and my string arm, I subscibe to this premise, both for accuracy and physical implications.

For me. with high grip, I am essentially using no muscles (this tendoms) below my shoulder on my bow arm. Accuracy is promoted, as my muscles don't react to the suddend release of tension.

On my string arm, I make sure to relax my thumb and little finger, thus using the minimaum muscles in my forearm..

My arms are, essentially, living prosthesis', my back and shoulders doing all the work.

·
Registered
165 Posts
My elbow has been getting bad lately- but on my string arm.

I changed my anchor to thumb behind my neck which helps with flinching but I do have some tension in my string hand that wasn't there when anchoring on the side of my face.

Can that tension create the elbow pain?

·
Registered
27 Posts
If the pain is not IN the joint itself, but is rather AROUND the joint (and you can actually touch the painful area) it may be the tendonitis that so many of us acquire. Obviously, getting medical treatment is never a bad idea. Until then, however, I've found several things help, many of which have already been listed above.

Relative rest, MILD stretching of the affected muscles (just prior to ice), and anything to decrease inflammation (OTC medications which you know to be safe for you, ice, GENTLE massage over the affected area, etc.)

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Buy a power ball and it will cure the issue.
The arm/elbow brace covers it up but it doesn't help cure it.
I haven't used a brace for years now, but I play with my powerball 3 times a week.
I don't want to sound like an advert, but the things work like nothing else and their effortless to use.

John.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.