Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never had elbow problems- pitching batting practice, shooting compounds- nothing every affected it. I think the way I'm shooting my recurve is affecting it and though i plan on seeing my Doc is if persists, i'm thinking there are enough guys with experience here to illuminate me.

I'm wondering if the problem is related to my fairly new anchor point. I shoot 3 under drawing with my thumb straight up and then locking my thumb behind my neck. I have a fair amount of tension in my draw arm doing this as its pretty fatigued after shooting a lot. I used to shoot with my hand on the side of my face- much less tension in my arm and never had elbow problems [but worse alignment and easier to flinch]. The pain is right in the joint where the bones come together. It gets so bad I can hardly lift a light bucket without pain.

Do you think the pain is related to the new anchor? anyone had a similar situation?

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
I had recent pain in bow arm elbow, but attributed it to shooting full length stab/oly set up. I removed the long stab and the pain hasn't come back. I will slowly reintroduce that added weight again soon. What I can tell you is your string arm from elbow to fingertips should be relaxed, nothing more then a simple hook. Any tension is going to cause accuracy issues in my experience.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
I've never had elbow problems- pitching batting practice, shooting compounds- nothing every affected it. I think the way I'm shooting my recurve is affecting it and though i plan on seeing my Doc is if persists, i'm thinking there are enough guys with experience here to illuminate me.

I'm wondering if the problem is related to my fairly new anchor point. I shoot 3 under drawing with my thumb straight up and then locking my thumb behind my neck. I have a fair amount of tension in my draw arm doing this as its pretty fatigued after shooting a lot. I used to shoot with my hand on the side of my face- much less tension in my arm and never had elbow problems [but worse alignment and easier to flinch]. The pain is right in the joint where the bones come together. It gets so bad I can hardly lift a light bucket without pain.

Do you think the pain is related to the new anchor? anyone had a similar situation?
Tension in the draw hand is bad news and it sounds like you've got a ton of it.. I'd be dropping that thumb back down.

-Grant

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tension in the draw hand is bad news and it sounds like you've got a ton of it.. I'd be dropping that thumb back down.

-Grant
I started doing it when i had a bit of a bout with TP, it helped with that, just wondering if its directly related to elbow pain.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Tendinitis, or "tennis elbow" has kept me out of archery for over a year and a half. My case was pretty bad, wound up having surgery and am just now getting back to speed. Sounds like this is what you're dealing with.

I've had it twice, first time not nearly as bad as the second. Both times I had been working specifically on changing something about my string hand. Putting those muscles and tendons in new situations can create problems.

Anyway, I'd recommend seeing a good sports medicine doc before you do any major damage. It's worth it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
9,460 Posts
Same thing here Tal. I had it in my bow arm all last year but working on a new anchor, I've just developed severe elbow pain in my string arm. I'm just using anti inflammatory drugs and a Therabar for now. I hope I caught it early enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
190 Posts
YES!! First, see a Doctor and get it evaluated!!

String arm elbow pain is ALMOST always using the biceps to draw the bow. Ideally, your arm and especially the elbow, forearm and wrist are as relaxed as possible. There will be a little tension in the forearm just below the elbow to hold the string hook with the fingers. BUT! the elbow is relaxed and ONLY acts as a hinge between the upper arm and forearm.

Believe it or not, the thumb up position you describe adds LOTS of tension that is not needed or wanted.

Also, arbitrarily selecting an anchor point requires you to adjust your form (body) to the selected anchor rather than allowing the body to work naturally. Said another way, your natural draw sets the anchor, your anchor should not be the target of your draw but the result of the draw.

·
Barefaced tightropewalker
8,512 Posts
Good to see you over here Arne. :)

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Don't know how you can get a smooth release, with your thumb tensioned.

I let both my thumb and little finger hang loose, my three fingers being nothing but hooks around the string.

No forearm tension whatsoever...

Put your left fingers under your right forearm and cock your thumb. You will

immediatelty feel the muscles contracting

1 - 13 of 13 Posts