Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Made a recent discovery is the quest for a less noisy warfer. One of my all time favorite methods is the old tried and true Saunders rubber brush buttons. They are getting a little hard to find nowadays so I tried something a little different to kill the string slap noise that the brush buttons helped cure. Take a pair of the throwaway foam hearing protectors, the little foam ones that are round with square ends. Flatten out your string loops, put a bobby pin or piece of wire thru the loop and poke it in the end center of the hearing protector and slide down the string, string the bow and place them so they just compress a little where the string meets the recurve. They helped a lot on a couple of my bows, are dirt cheap and if they don't knock the noise down eneugh you can always take them off, put them in your ears and the bow will be real silent...warf

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Very cool idea Bob.

We have several different types where I work and even some coned shaped that would work also. It will be interesting to see how long a pair will last on the string.

·
Banned
1,826 Posts
The ear wax on the foam would be good for the string, as well.

Hank :)

G

·
Try the combination of industrial strength velcro cut in a small strip and placed in the string grooves, plus rubber "peep" tubing over the string where in comes in contact with the limbs and finally...the kicker, as discovered by DWS, use those small traditional limb savers as "brush buttons." They aren't the most durable, but I'm working on a fix for that.

Even with just a pair of black widow vinyl spiders by Warf is dead quiet now. The thump of the arrow hitting the target is louder than the bow.

I'm also in the process of experimenting with those "Zorbathane(sp?)" shock absorbing footpads. Way cheaper than limbsavers. I cut out a pair of "string leeches" that worked like a charm. Now I'm trying different shapes and toying with the idea of winding it around the string, a la a primitive string saver.

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Atlantis...Just think of all the fun you would be missing if the warf I sent you came real quiet, you wouldn't get to play with all those string silencers thingee's like I do too. Look under the sink, must be something there that can be made to work too!..lol...Keep it up, love hearing about what it takes to get these things silent and so does everybody else...warf

G

·
Bob, the thing is you really can get them quiet. I now think of my old Jeffery's recurve with B50 string and two big wool silencers as a little noisy. I never noticed any handshock from it either, until I shot my Warf for a while.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Again I brake the rules

Please do not look at me too angry, but I definitely INSIST on String Leech dampers.

OK, I have a carbon fibre reinforced hunting bow, carbon arrows and polyethene string, BUT I still make quiet shots, ehmmm totally quiet shots within 25 yards with my 65# Border recurve.

The little rubber flaps will not be recognized by many self-announced "primitive-police-controllers". And not heared!

Try them ! And try to hear them. They did a lot of work there!

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Good work Atlantis! Let us know how longterm durability is. That seems to be the biggest problem with a lot of materials. Does the string seem to be cutting the peep tubing at all?

·
Premium Member
2,287 Posts
DAS....you probably already know, but thought I mention it .....peep tubing comes in different grades...the silicone peep tubing seems to last very well. I had some on a 50# hunting bow, that lasted until I changed strings, with no signs of dry rot or cracking.

G

·
DAS, the string hasn't cut into the peep tubing yet. I think it's because of the velcro over the string channel. The little limbsavers get cut pretty quickly though. I'm using a thin TS1 string and I think they'd wear longer with dacron or D97.

I still think those shock absorbing shoe inserts could turn out to be a real bargin, especially considering that string leeches are ten bucks for four.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Thanks guys, I knew there were differences in peep tube quality, but I didn't know how one might do verses another in this application. I'd also like to find a source for the mother of all velcro. Something that would hold tarps on the superdome! I haven't had a chance to research it yet though. Any ideas?

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
When talking with David Quinn several weeks ago, he mentioned a string silencing system he had been playin' around with for awhile that utilizes peep tubing. Not surprising, as he always seems to have a nack of doing things simply and economically. He said he had been looking for a good use for all the peep tubing they had left over from their retail shop. Also found another supplier that has tubing that is more durable than the original stuff.

They've been shipping some of these strings with their bows recently and awaiting feedback on them. I've tried them myself, but haven't really had enough time to test them thoroughly and come up with a definitive opinion one way or the other yet. It seems to be a very economical quiet bow string setup and is totally waterproof. Quinn supplies them with two 3/4" pieces at each end (Peggy calls them "Rubbers"), the second one is a spare to slide up if the first one wears out.

I've been wondering if a length of peep tubing could also be placed where a puff normally is located, then splice the ends to make it work like a catwhisker. Speaking of catwhiskers... the Quinns call theirs "Houdini silencers" because they "work like magic".

Another "cheapo" string silencer I've heard about recently... Hank told me about this one. Take some 450+ string (I think), wad it up and insert into string like a puff-ball, then it ravels and frays creating a "puff" that works well too.

·
Registered
692 Posts
How are you guys getting the tubing onto your string? Are you using something like the "needles" used to install brush buttons? I tried using one of those with a 12 strand flemish and gave up, thinking "I'm missing something here". :sbrug:

G

·
I shoot pretty thin TS1 strings and just use a piece of wire through the string look and work it on like you would one of those rubber sleeves on a recurve riser.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Thanks Atlantis..........I need a long piece of wire then. I just wanted to make sure I wasnt missing something.........it doesnt look like its going to go onto my string without a fight.

·
ryan brodrick
2,134 Posts
hey hank,

how did the 450 puffs work for you? from what pinelander said, i assume youve been experimenting?

pinelander, i just put the strands in laying flat and center them in the string. i suppose you could wad them up (is that what you ended up doing, hank?) but some of the strands will probably fall out of the string. i dont know for sure though because ive never tried it.

any string material will work but 450 is the best ive used . i think the 2 different materal types in the 450 might be part of the reason it "puffs" so well.

if you use some thing really waxy, just run it under hot water for 30 seconds and that should get most of the wax out and allow them to puff up faster.

ive also just stuck em in and they eventually puffed up nicely.

good shooting,
ryan b.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts