Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shoot off of the shelf. My bare shaft runs tail low due to positive limb tiller.
Say the nock height is 1/2".
If I go to a thicker pad effectively raising the rest height, and keep the same nock height of 1/2", what does this do to arrow flight due to tiller? Make it behave like a lower or higher nock height?

·
Registered
117 Posts
It may or may not change anything, at least enough to tell by the naked eye. When I went from shooting my Warf off the shelf to off a Weather Rest I simply put the nock back at 7/8" high and verified by comparing bare and fletched shafts that the tune was still good. That was with even tiller.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Is it impacting with the fletched arrow? I'll bet it's high.

"My bare shaft runs tail low due to positive limb tiller." How do you know that? I'd say at least it's an assumption.

If your NP is really a 1/2 high, that's pretty high to be getting tail low. BUT that's the problem with trying to tune by nock kick out. Soooo, it maybe tiller, but I wouldn't assume that without impacts.

Bowmania

·
Registered
622 Posts
I'm not sure of the answer but in dealing with one piece and bolt on limbs I try to find the sweet spot on how the bow draws first.
I set a loose nock point about 1/2' high and draw the bow then move the nock and draw again until the bow sets in my hand the way I prefer.
To high and the bow wants to tilt back with all the weight in the web of the hand and to low the weight shifts to the heel of my hand.
Once I get it like I want it then I start tuning if the nock height is acceptable.
High is ok but never low.
If the nock point is way high you may have to add a thicker rest material.
I have a split fingered bow that I had to change out the leather rest with a supper thin piece of rubber to make it pull right for my three under hold.

Yeap you will have to readjust the nock to get your tune most likely but the bow is usually better balanced for me.

Different bow grips along with how you want the bow to feel in your hand ll plays a part.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Have you tried bareshafting at different yardages to see if the nock low impact is consistent? Are the limbs tiller adjustable, there is no right or wrong way to set tiller, if that is the cause you could take it out but how your arrow is pointing in the target is irrelevant. What matters in bareshafting is where they are impacting. Usually when you have that sorted out the other most often takes care of itself.

My bareshafts tend to stick in the target a little nock high because of the point weight I shoot. I don't care cause they stick in the target right where I shoot them. Then when I put fletch back on it's really good.

I thought we went over the competitive edge of elevated rests. lol An elevated rest gives you space above the shelf so when your arrow paradoxes around the riser it has the most clearance. No interference.

You simply square the nock point to the same height above where the arrow touches as it rests. Off the shelf or off the rest.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
If I go to a thicker pad effectively raising the rest height, and keep the same nock height of 1/2", what does this do to arrow flight due to tiller?
Given no other changes, the arrow will behave as if nock point is lower. That is because tiller didn't effectively change, nor did where you're holding the string. Nock low because it IS low.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Since no one seemed to definitively know and didn't seem that anyone has tried it, I did.
Actually I went from seal skin to furniture pad. No change to tiller. Non-ILF, so I can't.
Set nock point to same based on now higher rest pad. Both 3/4" above square from rest.
Nock is not as tail-low as before....
But it did quiet the bow a tad more. Shooting in the basement so sound is much more discernible.
In doing so with three under, I am now holding the string closer to where I would be with split fingers and the lower rest thickness. Best bare shaft flight was still achieved with split fingers. But I don't shoot that way.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I neglected to answer an earlier comment about impact point.
The bare shafts do hit high compared to fletched arrows at 15 and 20 yards.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts