Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Black eagle makes one of the best arrows. If your ok with the weight of the BE vintage arrow, they are hand crested, fletched with 5" feathers and are like 34 or 35" long. Their finish is unique and ive gotten compliments on them, even fooling some compound guys thinking they were wood.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I get excited whenever I see a topic I can actually provide input on. It doesn't happen often... However, I can only cover half of this topic, the Black Eagle Vintage half. Here's what I can tell you about them:

Order and delivery - they make you log in each time you order which is a bit annoying (That's the one and only negative thing I'll say). Their automated order tracking system is really good. You get emails when your order is received, fulfilled, and mailed. When mailed they give you a link to the usps tracking page so you can follow it through them from there. I've ordered a dozen shafts four different times and don't think it's ever taken more than 4 days to get the shafts in hand.

Customer service: They are awesome! I had one ordering issue which was completely my fault in that I ordered the wrong spine arrow shafts. I sent them an email at 9pm telling them the truth, and asked what my options were. I got a reply less then 30 minutes later, from the president of the company (well, that's what the signature line said), telling me not to worry, just send the shafts back, and they'd take care of me. So that's what I did and they were true to their word. I had the correct shafts in my hands, at no additional cost, in less than a week.

The shafts:

Length: Their stock length is 34". If you are a long draw archer, these are a godsend.

Looks: I think they look great. I've put them side by side with some Eastons and the Black Eagles are a bit darker and have a coarser grain.

Durability: The wood color wrapping is really tough. I'm a new archer, and this summer I was shooting for a week at a vacation house with a huge sandy/grassy backyard. I was taking shots way farther than I should (60, 80, 100 yards) and was missing my foam block target a lot. A whole lot. Hundreds of misses. The black coating on my field points wore off so that they turned a bright silver color, but somehow the wood colored arrow coating showed hardly any wear. I still don't understand how that's possible. Also, I've done a lot of stump shooting and missed a bunch of 3d targets where I've hit some nasty stuff, including rocks, and I have yet to damage an arrow shaft. I bend the shafts quite aggressively after each incident and haven't heard anything suspicious yet. My bow is 45 lbs.

Straightness/accuracy: I get the .003 versions because they are cheaper and I'm not good enough to tell the difference. I can't tell you any more. My shots are erratic, but it's not because of the arrows...

As you can probably tell, I'm a huge fan. Great service. Good quality, good looking, very tough arrows. And the 34" stock length possibly saved archery for me.

Hope that helps,
Jim

·
Registered
135 Posts
Half, I am using the 400 spines. I keep the shafts full length at 34" and have been shooting with either 159 or 175 grains up front (point + insert). The bow is a 68" Omega Imperial, 45# @32". I try bare shaft tuning every couple weeks but am still all over the place. This setup seems to generally get me the best results.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Black eagle makes one of the best arrows. If your ok with the weight of the BE vintage arrow, they are hand crested, fletched with 5" feathers and are like 34 or 35" long. Their finish is unique and ive gotten compliments on them, even fooling some compound guys thinking they were wood.
What is the weight difference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
What is the weight difference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The BE are 9.2gpi for 400 and the Axis is 9.8gpi for 400. When I mentioned if you are ok with the weight, it was in reference to most of my other shafts are lighter gpi, the vintage being the heaviest I shoot lately. I wasn't aware that the axis trads are heavier.

Reactions: HALFCAWKT

·
Pete
5,612 Posts
I have no experience with the black eagle but love the Axis trads and the insert system. Axis trads work very well out of my westernized asiatic and modern longbows.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.